Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Different Father!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

highland

highland Report 21 May 2011 15:42

This week I received a copy of my G G Grandfather's wedding certificate, dated 1850. Everything is correct until it comes to William's father who according to my records was Robert, but on the certificate it appears as John!!
I have cross checked with the local records office and they wrote back and said it was Robert.
Can anyone come up with an answer?
Regards
Sandra

Donna17

Donna17 Report 21 May 2011 16:06

Hi Sandra
I'm afraid I don't have an answer but I do have exactly the same problem! Mine is an 1897 certificate, and I know that my great grandfather was called Isaac but on the marriage certificate of my grandfather he is named as James.
It isn't a middle name or anything like that, and my grandfather didn't have any brothers or uncles called James. Like you, I am stumped!

I do know that my grandmother married using a name that wasn't her name on her birth certificate, so it doesn't appear that they bothered checking what went on marriage certificates too carefully.

I shall watch this thread with interest... :)

K

K Report 21 May 2011 16:07

It could be that he had two names, it was a mistake or maybe it is the wrong certificate. Do you want to post details?

highland

highland Report 21 May 2011 16:13

I was wondering about 2 names. His name was William Lloyd and he married Elizabeth Stealy Dec 23rd 1850. The wedding took place in Halkin, Flintshire, the district is Holywell. Th witnesses names fit in and Elizabeth's fathers name is correct.
thanks for your replies.

K

K Report 21 May 2011 16:24

Have you found the couple in 1851? I found this for William with father Robert, but this William does not appear to be married

Name: William Lloyd
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1829
Relation: Son
Father's name: Robert Lloyd
Mother's name: Lucy Lloyd
Where born: Halkin, Flintshire, Wales
Civil Parish or Township: Lygan Y Wern
Ecclesiastical parish: Halkin
County/Island: Flintshire
Registration district: Holywell
Sub-registration district: Flint
ED, institution, or vessel: 1a
Piece: 2501
Folio: 16
Page Number: 25
Household schedule number: 94
Household Members:
Name Age
Robert Lloyd 52
Lucy Lloyd 52
Thomas Lloyd 26
William Lloyd 22
Charles Lloyd 19
Edward Lloyd 17
Henry Lloyd 11

highland

highland Report 21 May 2011 16:32

I have a photo of his grave which said William died in 1903 aged 75yrs which makes 1828. So it looks as though along the lines I have picked up the William you have just found. Will need to go back over my notes!!! Thank you for putting me right.
Sandra

K

K Report 21 May 2011 16:36

So this is your Elizabeth in 1851? with parents and husband. The William with father Robert appears to be another family. Edit - Sorry we crossed

Name: Elizabeth Lloyd
[Elizabeth Stealey]
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1826
Relation: Daughter
Mother's name: Ann Stealey
Where born: Halkin, Flintshire, Wales
Civil Parish or Township: Brynford
Ecclesiastical parish: Holywell
Town: Holywell
Sub-registration district: Whitford
ED, institution, or vessel: 1j
Piece: 2500
Folio: 538
Page Number: 10
Household schedule number: 42
Household Members:
Name Age
Ann Stealey 52
Mary Stealey 12
Joseph Davies 18
William Lloyd 21
Elizabeth Lloyd 25

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 21 May 2011 16:37

Looking at the 1841 census there is a William Lloyd b 1828 with father named Robert and also a William Lloyd b 1829 with father named John......
of course what we have to remember is that our Ancestors were never very good when it came to their ages! What has led you to William's father being called Robert?

K

K Report 21 May 2011 16:40

I think this is the William in 1841 who married in 1850 with father John

Name: William Lloyd
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1829
Where born: Flintshire, Wales

Civil parish: Halkin
Hundred: Coleshill

Street Address: View image

Sub-registration district: Flint
Neighbors: View others on page
Piece: 1407
Book: 11
Folio: 7
Page Number: 7
Household Members:
Name Name
John Lloyd 50
Elizabeth Lloyd 45
John Lloyd 15
William Lloyd 12

highland

highland Report 21 May 2011 16:41

yes that is the Elizabeth I have but I have her aged 15

highland

highland Report 21 May 2011 16:43

With 2 Williams running along side each other it is quite confusing, thankfully I have the correct certificate!

highland

highland Report 21 May 2011 16:52

Thanks K for your help. Obviously along the line I have linked the two Williams together. Thankfully it is the last entry in my file and therefore I haven't gone too far off in my researching.
Regards
Sandra

K

K Report 21 May 2011 17:49

I am glad the couple were living with her parents in 1851

Good Luck Kay