Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

meaning of cause of death ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

kath23

kath23 Report 23 May 2011 16:00

Hi Everyone,
I have a death certificate and it says cause of death C.O.A.D does anyone know what this means please ?
Kath

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 23 May 2011 16:04

possibly

chronic obstructive airways disease

kath23

kath23 Report 23 May 2011 16:07

Thank you.
That could be right,I just could not think of anything
Thank you
Kath

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 23 May 2011 16:38

Lindsey is definitely right (brings back echoes of my nurse training!)
jan

Flick

Flick Report 23 May 2011 16:38

You could always try googling........................

kath23

kath23 Report 23 May 2011 16:44

Thank you
I think Lindsey is right.
I did try googling but nothing came up
Thank you all
Kath

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 23 May 2011 16:44

Was one of my mums causes of death. She suffered all her adult life with chronic bronchitis and breathing problems Didn't help that she smoked as did Dad and the adult children eventually. When she got it smoking hadnt been identified as a problem!

I remember when it was smoggy in the London area she didnt even have to go outside for the smog to cause her breathing problems

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 23 May 2011 16:47

Try googling COPD (Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) instead.
jan

Nannylicious

Nannylicious Report 23 May 2011 17:10

There is also COPD - Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. I believe this used to be called Emphysema

Nannylicious

Nannylicious Report 23 May 2011 17:13

Sorry Brummiejan for the duplication. I typed up my reply, went to answer the telephone and when I came back I pressed the submit button before realising you had already answered.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 23 May 2011 17:20

yes mums was Emphysema

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 23 May 2011 17:36

C.O.P.D isn't jus Emphysema..

It's a conglomeration of Asthma,Emphysema,Bronchitis and pneumonia.

And it isn't all caused by smoking,,my mum had it and she never smoked..hers was caused by working in a brush factory when she was young.

Nannylicious

Nannylicious Report 23 May 2011 17:51

My dad was bombed out during WW2 and was coughing up black soot at the age of 15. He got pneumonia and pleurisy in his 30's and so it's no wonder his lungs were in such a terrible state later on in his life.

kath23

kath23 Report 23 May 2011 20:12

Thank you so much for your replies.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 23 May 2011 22:02

so COPD is a bit serious then?

I am a sufferer, but how serious is it?
I get my pills, inhalers n stuff, have the occasional flow test........Have no stamina to speak of.....ok, I walk around as if I am fit,and outwardly look well... but dont ask me to help carry a fridge or washing machine cos thats a killer, I d be gasping after a few steps...........
Bob

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 23 May 2011 22:26

Bob I wouldn't be able to walk a couple of steps carrying a fridge /washer.

It takes me all my time to carry a bit of shopping a couple of days a week.

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 23 May 2011 22:43

Bob

I was diagnosed with it at the end of January. They say it's mild at the moment..........and if this is mild I sure as hell don't want it to get any worse! But they say it will. :-(((((

I have found over the last few weeks that learning to breathe properly (right down in to the diaphragm) has really helped me. I'm not having to use the inhalers all the time now.

Basically the breathing technique is a longer exhale than inhale. A long slow exhale as though you are blowing gently through a straw. Try doing that for about 15 minutes at a time 2 or 3 times a day and see if it makes a difference for you.

Mary

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 23 May 2011 22:57

there was a program, I recall a few years ago,where they had children that were sufferers......and they tried a technique, where the kiddies were told to "drag"air in through a restricted ventilator gadget.

Idea was to help increase the intake of air, and strengthen the chest........

wonder what was the result.........???

Bob