Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Importing GEDCOM to GR from Tribal Pages

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janet

Janet Report 23 May 2011 17:56

Hi, I am trying to import my Gedcom file from Tribal pages. I have got the file on my computer - but now I am getting cold feet about importing it onto GR. Sorry to be so basic, but when it says that a newly imported Gedcom will overwrite what exists on my GR tree does that mean that it will find the same people and overwrite any info I have on them and only them, or that it will wipe my entire tree and overwrite it with the Tribal Pages Tree (which only represents one branch of my GR tree.) I would appreciate it if someone would be able to answer this for me - I wish I were more able to zip around my computer. :S
Thanks

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 23 May 2011 17:59

It means you will lose all GR info and the TP tree will take it;s place,

BUT
if you make and save a Gedcom of you GR tree you can always overwrite the TP tree if you don't like it !

Janet

Janet Report 23 May 2011 18:05

Thanks Lindsey,
I guess I will be entering it by hand! Yikes - I found 144 people on my mother-in-laws branch - this could take a while!

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 23 May 2011 18:05

As far as I understand, your GR tree will be deleted and replaced with the one you import.

If you wish to merge your GR and Tribal trees then you will need to invest in a commercial tree program such as Family Tree Maker (FTM)

Alternatively you could download the free tree program Personal Ancestry File (PAF) from the Family Search site. I don't have PAF, as I use FTM, but understand that it does allow you to merge files.

Janet

Janet Report 23 May 2011 18:21

I have a Mac Computer, and Reunion software (Though I haven't used it much) are you saying that I could merge TP onto Reunion, and then upload it on to GR without losing people? (I love what technology can do, but this is pretty out of my depth!)
THanks

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 23 May 2011 18:31

Yes, that is the gist of it.

Download file from TP
Download file from GR

Merge the two on Reunion

Upload back to GR