Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

National Archives help needed please !

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

kath23

kath23 Report 24 May 2011 11:44

Hello Everyone,
I feel useless !
When ever I go on the National Archives web site I find nothing !
It is so vast I just waddle around getting no results and I wondered if anyone can give me any tips on trying to find my grandfathers Royal Navy records.

He was in the Royal Navy in 1909 and as he was born in 1890 I assume he joined as soon as he could after leaving school.

Will I find his records on the site or is there some were else I can look.

Any advice gratefully appreciated
Kath

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 24 May 2011 12:03

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/default.asp

Hi Kath, Paste this link into your address bar. When the page loads use the search at the top left hand corner. Either put in Royal Naval Records and a date range or better still put in the name of your grandfather.

You can also click on Navy on the lefthand side.
Good luck

kath23

kath23 Report 24 May 2011 16:36

Thank you so much !
I just could not find my way around.
Will let the board know how I get on
regards kath

kath23

kath23 Report 24 May 2011 20:11

well thanks to Aunty sherlock I found the correct pages on the NA but still not found my grandfather.
Will look again tomorrow
thanks kath

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 24 May 2011 22:31

Kath, Are you certain your grandfather served in the Royal Navy. Try putting his name into the search without specifying Navy. I spent days looking for my grandfather in the National Archives because he was born in England. It turned out he had served in the Royal Australian Navy and not the Royal Navy.

Widen your search and see what happens.

If you would like a second pair of eyes, send me a message with his name and I will take a look for you.

kath23

kath23 Report 25 May 2011 07:48

Thank you for your offer I will PM you
regards Kath

Quoy

Quoy Report 25 May 2011 08:39

try this , it is the pilot beta search for the National Archives
I used to have trouble too.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/news/561.htm

kath23

kath23 Report 25 May 2011 12:02

Thank you Quoy will try it now
regards Kath

kath23

kath23 Report 25 May 2011 15:02

Just to say thanks again Quoy,
I have found one record for a WILLIAM TERRY,possibly my grandfather, dated 1917/1918 and is listed as a SERVICE RECORD as a RNVR OFFICER.
I am debating whether it is worth paying the £6.99 to download it or not its a lot to pay if it is not what I am looking for

Thanks again
Kath

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 25 May 2011 15:53

Did you search Documentsonline (the Seamans services records) just using his name? Best not to fill any of the other fields in.

Regarding the Officers records. Was he from a reasonably well-off family? Most officers (not all but certainly the majority), were not from ordinary working-class backgrounds.

kath23

kath23 Report 25 May 2011 17:49

No he was not from a wealthy family that is one of the reasons I have not paid my money and downloaded the officers records

I have searched on documentsonline and found nothing.
I am now wondering if his name has not been recorded correctly

Not giving up yet but getting close
Kath

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 26 May 2011 11:12

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/royal-navy-service.asp

I am currently in this area of the National Archives.

This thread is closed. New thread on Search Ancestors Board.

kath23

kath23 Report 26 May 2011 13:45

Thank you Aunty Sherlock