Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with reading an occupation - Solved, Thx

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Diane

Diane Report 28 May 2011 21:03

I am having trouble making out the occupation of one of my ancestors on his 1861 census entry. Please could you take a look and see what you think?
It is under Yorkshire, Markington, District 10c, Page13, the last entry on the page, James Halloway. His only previous occupation has been Ag. Lab. Has he found himself a trade?

Thank you for taking the time.
Diane

K

K Report 28 May 2011 21:10

Miner?

Diane

Diane Report 28 May 2011 21:14

Thank, K...yes, I like that suggestion...would that fit with his Uncle being a Stone Mason?

K

K Report 28 May 2011 21:23

I would think that his uncle worked in a quarry and James worked in a coal mine, but looking at other people in the village I can't see any other miners.

I wonder whether he was visiting and working elsewhere.

Edit - I can't see mines in the area so maybe he actually did work in a quarry

Diane

Diane Report 28 May 2011 21:47

Yes, perhaps that's it. I don't think it was a mining village, but he was born there and appeared there in other census, when his wife was alive. His son is living in the same village with his grandparents. Sad times.

Thank you for looking for me.

Diane