Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Thomas Williams and Dorothy Ada Dawson

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sarah

Sarah Report 28 May 2011 21:16

I have a marriage certificate for Thomas Williams and Dorothy Ada Dawson, married on 27th December 1937. Thomas Williams father was William Williams and listed as a retired farmer. Thomas Williams age at marriage was 32 years but we think he may have been older. Because the name is so common we don't know where to start. We were told that he was born on the English side of the Welsh border but again not sure. We were also told Birkehead. Can anybody help or does anybody have any information in their tree. Thankyou

patchem

patchem Report 28 May 2011 21:27

Do you know when and where Thomas Williams died?

Just for ref
Dawson Dorothy A Williams Wandsworth 1d 1191
WILLIAMS Thomas Dawson Wandsworth 1d 1191

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 28 May 2011 21:31

Do you know when Thomas died? Sometimes a death cert can offer a clue or two. I don't suppose the witnesses are of any help?
Jan

Sarah

Sarah Report 28 May 2011 21:45

Thomas died on 25th July 1959 in a road traffic accident in Basingstoke at the age of 53. The witnesses on the marriage certificate are C Dawson and O Mollish (if female ) may have been a married sister to Thomas I could try and check that out. Thanks

patchem

patchem Report 28 May 2011 21:58

Mollish does not appear to be a very common surname. Non-existent?

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 28 May 2011 22:00

I agree Patchem - there are one or two on Ancestry but may be errors. (Though one is a marriage 1990). Maybe Sarah could check that name again?
Jan

Sarah

Sarah Report 28 May 2011 22:04

Looked again. The witness surname could be Mellish.

patchem

patchem Report 29 May 2011 07:16

Do you know why his age is believed to be wrong. As you said, too many Thomas Williams out there.
I have looked on 1911 for Thomas Williams, about 1905, father William Williams, farmer, living in Birkenhead. Nothing obvious unfortunately.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 May 2011 12:20

His age at death seems to tie with his age at marriage. What makes you think he was older than he stated?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 May 2011 12:25

maybe
Name: Thomas Williams
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1905
Registration district: Birkenhead
Inferred County: Cheshire, Merseyside
Volume: 8a
Page: 529

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 29 May 2011 14:17

No Thomas and probably a total co-incidence. Not his parents though as they have just the one child.

WILLIAMS, William Head Married M 41 1870 Farmer Broughton Flintshire VIEW
WILLIAMS, Susannah Elizabeth Wife Married
16 years F 42 1869 Britton Flintshire VIEW
WILLIAMS, Arthur Son M 10 1901 School Littleton Chester VIEW
DAWSON, Jessie Ann Niece F 14 1897 School Saltney Chester VIEW
RG number:
RG14 Piece:
21917 Reference:
RG14PN21917 RG78PN1305 RD451 SD2 ED4 SN25B

Registration District:
Wirral Sub District:
Eastham Enumeration District:
4 Parish:
Ledsham Great Sutton

Address:
Wood Farm Welsh Road Ledsham Near Chester County:
Cheshire

Sarah

Sarah Report 11 Jun 2011 00:03

Yes we picked up on the Birkenhead one. We have a couple of photographs of Thomas with his wife and a young man and he just looks quite alot older in the face and the way he dresses. He was wearing a flat cap so his face is a little obscured but his face is quite weathered. He may have been wearing the cap because we were told he suffered from alopecia but again that is of no use. My husband has spoken to a couple of relatives but they can't seem to offer up much information apart from the fact they thought he was older than he said. It is a big mystery. With a name like that I don't think we are ever going to find him, how will we know we have the right one!