Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Burial of an "Abortive Child"

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sonya

Sonya Report 29 May 2011 01:01

I came across this record recently, the like of which I haven't seen before.

Burial: 27 Apr 1814 St Mary the Virgin, Blackburn, Lancashire, England
abortive child Whittaker - Child of John Whittaker & Ellen
Abode: Blackburn
Register: Burials 1813 - 1818, Page 74, Entry 588
Source: LDS Film 1278820 - LRO Ref PR3073/1/81

Was it commonplace for Clergy to bury miscarried/stillborn infants, and if so would it be in consecrated ground? Or would they have to be buried in unconsecrated ground as they weren't christened? Would there be an area set aside for these poor little souls?

patchem

patchem Report 29 May 2011 07:10

Try this
http://books.google.com/books?id=LS-t_gVxDWUC&pg=RA1-PA117&lpg=RA1-PA117&dq=burial+consecrated+ground+unbaptised+england&source=bl&ots=68b7cBfxSc&sig=JQsgzpmBmTsvjAvCyP7dH-Bui54&hl=en&ei=SeLhTejgHoLLhAe575HzBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCMQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false
and this
http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk/england/unbaptized-children.html

Sonya

Sonya Report 1 Jun 2011 12:09

Thanks patchem. I'll have a look.

Sonya

Sonya Report 1 Jun 2011 12:25

Quote from the mysteriousbritain.co.uk link provided by patchem-

"Sometimes a Parish Minister may have allowed the child to be buried just within the walls of the churchyard, but without any funeral or memorial marker. The burial would also not be recorded, just as no record would exist of their baptism and this had an effect on national statistics as these children would officially not exist."

Yet the burial of the Whittaker baby IS recorded in the Parish Records
It seems, then, that I have stumbled across an unusual record.