Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

re 1841 census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 30 May 2011 11:00

my forefather James Scarlet is in the above census stating ,not of this county but because of ink xmudges etc,I am not sure whether it says county or country?can anyone help as in yorkshire there are 4 counties.thanks

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 30 May 2011 11:01

It will be County .thats usually the heading on the 1841 .

The heading is "Whether born in same County"

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 30 May 2011 11:05

Whats his birth Year as theres several with the same name,
have you found him on later census

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 30 May 2011 11:11

Please reply on the thread by using the Add Reply box at the top of the thread OR span down the page to the open box and type in your response and click the Submit button. TA :D

Flick

Flick Report 30 May 2011 11:16

Yorkshire is/was ONE County............

In the era you are looking at, it had three RIDINGS..............North, East, and West

Janet

Janet Report 30 May 2011 11:46

Is he James Scarlet- tailor? if it is, it appears to say 'N' for not of this county-jl

Flick

Flick Report 30 May 2011 11:59

How old was he in 1841?

Is he on a later census?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 30 May 2011 12:25

I can find three in Yorkshire. One is spelt Scarlet (one "t") and two spelt Scarlett.

There are no smudges on any. The one spelt with one "t" is not born in county - this one is a tailor. One of the others is born in county (a book-keeper) and the other is not born in county and "NK" is written under the column which says where born, so he obviously doesn't know where he was born - this one is a barrister.

Kath. x

David

David Report 30 May 2011 18:56

thanks to all,looking at your very good suggestions I shall have to start looking for James from another county,yhanks very much to you all for your expertise.Dave