Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Grandfather

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Grace

Grace Report 30 May 2011 13:35

My Daughter- in-law is desperate to trace her family tree on her father's side, her parents where divorced when she was small, already I am stuck, have got her father's birth cert. which confirms her grandfather's name as, JamesThomas Farrelly but have found 2 with same name but different birthdates,1927 and 1928 how can I be sure which is the correct one? I have got both birth cert's.One of them married Gladys Clements who is her grandmother.We also beleive her ancestors originate from Ireland, how do I go about checking that. Thank You one and all.

Tracy

Tracy Report 30 May 2011 13:40

if you get gladys clements marriage cert it should list her husbands fathers name then check it against the birth cert

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 30 May 2011 13:49

Once you have confirmed the grandparent you can move back on census.

The Irish 1911 and 1901 census are available free online at

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

Tracy

Tracy Report 30 May 2011 14:09

View Record Name Spouse Surname Date of Registration Registration district County (inferred) View Image Order Record
View Record
James T Farrelly Clements Jan-Feb-Mar 1953 Hendon Middlesex

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 30 May 2011 14:57

This is the reference for the marriage certificate -

Name: CLEMENTS, Gladys R
Registration District: Hendon
County: Middlesex
Year of Registration: 1953
Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
Spouse's last name: Farrelly
Volume No: 5E
Page No: 1218

Name: FARRELLY, James T
Registration District: Hendon
County: Middlesex
Year of Registration: 1953
Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
Spouse's last name: Clements
Volume No: 5E
Page No: 1218

This certificate will hopefully name James's father which in turn will help you decide which is the correct birth certificate.

Kath. x

Grace

Grace Report 30 May 2011 17:48

Many thanks for your reply's, I have there wedding cert, married in Hendon Middlesex which gives father's name as James Farrelly, do I now go with the the cert that says born in West Ham, rather than the other james Farrelly which says born in Liverpool?

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 30 May 2011 17:54

I would be tempted to go with the one for West Ham. Sometimes the occupation gives you clues. Some occupations are more likely to move around the country, ie railway worker, but many are more localised.
Also back then getting around the country was not as easy so unless his father moved south for work or married a woman from London then I'd would think the family came from there. You could also do a search for all Farrellys living in the area in the 1901 and 1911 census. It might help.

Cheryl :-)