Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

BIRTH CERTIFICATES

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sheila

Sheila Report 30 May 2011 14:47

Can anybody help me please? I have sent for various birth certificates for my grandfather and it is always the wrong one! On the census it says born 1857/1858 in Paddington/Highgate. When I went to GRO this time there did not seem to be boxes to put mother or father name into. What can I do, I live in Spain, would I have to go to Westminster for the Paddington birth or Islington? for the Highgate one? Any ideas. Sheila

Sue C

Sue C Report 30 May 2011 15:03

Perhaps you could post your grandfather's name, and the census's you have found him on so that others can take a look.

Who did he marry? The wedding cert would name his father which might help.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 30 May 2011 15:24

If the name is not too common and you have sufficient additional information such as year of birth and parents names then you could try ordering it without quoting any GRO reference.

You enter the year of birth as 01/01/YYYY and the GRO will search for the year quoted and one either side. If they find a match to the info you provide they will issue a cert, otherwise you get a full refund.

It takes a minimum of four weeks.

Sheila

Sheila Report 30 May 2011 15:24

Thanks for all that information his name was William Adams born 1857 Paddington though one of the census states 1858 Highgate. His father was William Jeffrey Adams born Balsam Cambridgeshire and wife Sarah Smith. My grandfather William Adams married in 1880 All Saints Church Highgate. I have an inquest form for his death stating he was 58 when he died in 1915. But his death certificate says Age 60. Any ideas? Sheila

Margaret

Margaret Report 30 May 2011 16:39

Hi Sheila. Have you tried www.freebdm.rootsweb.com

jax

jax Report 30 May 2011 16:44

??

Name: William Adams
Birth Date: abt 1858
Christening Date: 2 May 1858
Christening Place: Wisbeach, Cambridgeshire, England
Father's name: William Adams
Mother's name: Sarah

Marriages Dec 1851 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adams William Jeffrey Linton 14 155
Smith Sarah Linton 14 155

jax

jax Report 30 May 2011 16:59

Although Linton is in Cambridgeshire it does not look like older sister was born there so may not be him

jax

Sheila

Sheila Report 30 May 2011 17:11

William Adams was born 1857 or 1858 in London, the family moved down, thanks for that tip at GRo I will try that, thanks for all your help. Sheila

patchem

patchem Report 30 May 2011 18:05

Is this the family in 1871, and have you found them in previous censuses?
1871 England Census
William Adams
Relation: Head Spouse's Name: Sarah Adams
Civil parish: Hornsey Ecclesiastical parish: St Matthias
Town: Highgate County/Island: Middlesex Country: England Registration district: Edmonton Sub-registration district: Hornsey
ED, institution, or vessel: 10 Household schedule number: 101 Piece: 1337 Folio: 97 Page Number: 19

William Adams 56
Sarah Adams 46 Barningham, Suffolk
George Adams 25 Balsam
Elizabeth Adams 27 Balsam
Rebecca Adams 17 Holloway
William Adams 14 Paddington
Mary Adams 10 St Lukes
Annie Buring 18
Martha Croswell 19

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 1337; Folio: 97; Page: 19; GSU roll: 828279.

Added, Ancestry has them as Brams in 1861, and Sarah is single in 1851, so presumably the older children are not hers.

Sheila

Sheila Report 30 May 2011 18:20

Yes Patchem that is the correct family, I have found them in all the other censuses as you can see it says William Adams born in Paddington, I have got a birth certificate for Mary born St Lukes born 1860. Do you know whether Highgate might come under Islington? Thanks for your information Sheila

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 31 May 2011 10:24

Not sure if this helps, but the Highgate area is divided between three London boroughs: Haringey in the north, Camden in the south and west, and Islington in the south and east

See here for more info on Islington Registration District

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/REG/districts/islington.html

Kay????

Kay???? Report 31 May 2011 10:37

Marylebone runs off Paddington as a seperate registration area.
?
William Adams

Marylebone.

Sheila

Sheila Report 31 May 2011 18:04

Hi Thanks for your information I ave emailed GRO to ask them what I should do. Thanks for all your help Sheila