Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Emigrated Family

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 31 May 2011 15:31

Hi, I am trying to find family who have moved abroad. I know that my uncle John Beaumont left the country with his 'wife' (I cannot find a marriage cert) Brenda in 1960 bound for Montreal. His dob is 1936 and was born in Halifax. His brother Willie Beaumont born 1934 I can find nothing for apart from a birth certificate. It is thought he may have emigrated to Canada/Australia. Ca anyone help? How do I find their siblings if they had any abroad?

Any help would be appreciated.

Flick

Flick Report 31 May 2011 17:45

I suspect you mean children...............siblings are brothers and sisters

You'd have to find marriages first..................

Susan

Susan Report 31 May 2011 17:49

yes and thats where I'm stumped - I know so little as it is. Thanks for your response.

Flick

Flick Report 31 May 2011 17:50

Was 'Willie' the actual registered name?

EDIT:

Just verified it on freebmd.

No record on FMP for the name on outgoing passenger lists (1890-1960)

Susan

Susan Report 31 May 2011 17:52

Hi, yes that was on his birth certificate.

Flick

Flick Report 31 May 2011 17:56

There are some marriages for the name..............have you eliminated them?

Susan

Susan Report 31 May 2011 17:58

to be honest I think I tried to find him but couldn't find anything under Willie. There are millions of William's.

Susan

Susan Report 31 May 2011 18:01

the ones I can see don;t match his birth year of 1964

Susan

Susan Report 31 May 2011 18:02

I mean 1934

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 31 May 2011 21:40

You're in touch with the other person who has Willie Beaumont in their tree here at GR?

I just want to say that speculation about the personal life of people possibly still living ('wife' etc.) isn't really appropriate.

And of course this isn't "Genealogy Chat", it's a search request ...

Neither was it "General Chat"

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/general_chat/thread/1260926

which makes this post a duplicate and contrary to the rule against submitting the same topic twice. Sorry.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 31 May 2011 21:59

Google and the telephone directory are about the only resources for the time period in question for Canada.

http://www.google.ca

In results, select "Pages from Canada".

Obituaries can sometimes be found, for example.

John's name is more common, so I tried Brenda, but without luck. I think we can probably rule out someone who is a hospital volunteer director, but maybe not -- take a look here (click to enlarge the right-hand photo)

http://images.ourontario.ca/Partners/HHPL/HHPL0108725015p.jpg

She isn't the one in Sarnia, Ontario, whose husband's name is given in an online obituary of a family member.

Susan

Susan Report 31 May 2011 22:14

Thanks for the info apologies for not following the rules.