Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Exact dates of birth etc

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hazel

Hazel Report 1 Jun 2011 20:29

Hi everyone...is there any way of narrowing down dates of birth etc other than buying certs ? Everything is obviously shown as "March quarter" etc
Hazel

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 1 Jun 2011 20:32

If you can find the baptism record, they often show date of birth as well as baptism.

Hazel

Hazel Report 1 Jun 2011 20:35

How do I find the baptism record ?
Hazel

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 1 Jun 2011 20:41

There are some baptism records on www.familysearch.org

They are mainly from the 1800's so it depends on what years you want. If they are more recent births then there are often records at the County Records Office if you know which church the baptism took place at - although not all baptism records show date of birth.

The birth certificate is the most reliable way of getting the exact date.

Kath. x

Hazel

Hazel Report 1 Jun 2011 20:44

Thanks for your help Kath.
Signing off now
Hazel xx

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 1 Jun 2011 20:47

If your person is recent enough that they died after 1969 in England/Wales, the GRO deaths index shows an exact date of birth, if it was known to the informant and as the informant believed it to be.

You're probably talking about earlier.

My experience is that not many baptism records show date of birth.

And there is also the problem that some baptisms took place later in life.

I have a batch of children born 1848-1854, all baptised in 1857. Their oldest brother, born 1844, was baptised in 1860 -- no date of birth shown. The next brother, born 1846, was baptised in 1872, after being married for 2 years, apparently in contemplation of death -- and that baptism record does give his exact date of birth!

It was only when I used

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html

that I found the baptism of the one born in 1844, since that baptism isn't in the IGI.