Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Workhouse Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sarah

Sarah Report 11 Jun 2011 00:14

If a child was born in the workhouse in 1874 would the workhouse have records of the birth?

Andrew

Andrew Report 11 Jun 2011 00:19

The workhouse would have kept records and the birth would be registered in usual manner.

The best website to see if records still exist is

www.workhouses.org.uk

Andy

Sarah

Sarah Report 11 Jun 2011 00:25

Thankyou Andy, I will take a look

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 11 Jun 2011 10:10

The birth would have been recorded at the workhouse and also in the normal index. However whether or not the workhouse records of the birth survived would depend on which workhouse it was. Some records have survived and some haven't.

If you look on the workhouses site which Andy gave the address for it will tell you which records survive for the particular workhouse where the birth took place.

My grandfather was born in 1870 in the Mint Street Workhouse in Southwark and I managed to get his birth record from there and also his birth certificate from the GRO. His parents lived just round the corner from Mint Street in Lant Street and his mother went into the workhouse when she was in labour (it says so on the admission register) and was there about 3 weeks - which I suppose was a normal length of time for a confinement after giving birth in those days.

Kath. x

Sarah

Sarah Report 11 Jun 2011 15:02

The problem I have is my great grandmother was born from a relationship between a servant and the son of the household in Llanelli. I have found her listed in the 1881 census living in that household as her grandmother took her. She took their surname and is listed a Lillian Thomas. She was born in Merthyr Tydfil. The servant in the household in the 1871 census was listed as being born in Merthyr Tydfil but may not even be her. I looked back in the census and found her to be living with her mum and her aunt and another child. The mother and her sister worked breaking limestone in Penydaren Yard, was this area anything to do with Merthyr Tydfil workhouse. My great grandmother was caught burning all of her paperwork muttering that nobody needed to know so we have nothing to work with. We know who her father was but not her mother I am not sure we will ever find out.