Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Fake Hotmail Upgrading Notification

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 20 Jun 2011 06:06

It would appear that a fake email message is doing the rounds as follows:-

" We are upgrading our database to serve you better. Due to the congestion in our Hotmail servers there would be removal of all unused Hotmail Account. You will have to confirm if your E-mail is still active by filling out your log in information below after clicking the reply button, or your account will be suspended within 48 Hours for security reasons.

Name: ........................................

User Name...................................

Password: ....................................

Date of Birth ..................................

Country or Territory.........................

Ensure every detail requested above is provided correctly upon receipt of this notification to enable the upgrade.
Incomplete details and wrong passwords forwarded will result in suspension or closure of your account for security reasons.

Note: YOUR DETAILS WILL NOT BE SHARED.
We'll keep making Windows Live! the best email service around.

Sincerely,
Windows Live Alert Team
Microsoft Corporation
"

If you got an email like this please don't reply with the information that is requested, its fake and please note that hotmail will never ask for you password and username. Its a scheme to steal your password so that can hack your hotmail account.

DELETE at once.

Lynski

Lynski Report 20 Jun 2011 06:13

Thanks for the warning.

Gai

Gai Report 20 Jun 2011 06:54

Thanks IGP will be on the lookout for it now.

Gai.

♥Julia♥

♥Julia♥ Report 20 Jun 2011 20:36

Huia

Huia Report 21 Jun 2011 10:07

I had one of those emails a year or two ago and it looked genuine. I was filling out the info but when I saw that the p/w actually appeared instead of as dots I realised it wasnt the real thing. I promptly changed my p/w. I appear to have been in time as there has been no sign of any trouble, although I did delete a lot of email addies from my list and stopped using the address for a while (I have addies with a couple of other outfits) and warned friends and family not to send to my hotmail addy until further notice.

Huia.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 21 Jun 2011 12:22

I have been getting HOTmails from names in my contact list that havent sent them, themselves.

.I would like to think that it is they, and not me that have been got at!
I hardly ever use MSN these days, but logged in the other day.
17 dud messages