Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

CHILDRENS HOMES

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Espana

Espana Report 20 Jun 2011 12:40

Can anyone help please?

I am looking for information on a home in Manchester where two little family girls were sent around 1927. My late Aunt said it was near Strangeways Prison.
If I was able to locate the premises has anyone any knowledge as to whether any records can be read or seen in the Archives in Manchester library?

Thank you. Cindy

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 20 Jun 2011 12:49

Following a google search, found this site which might be worth a look

http://www.manchester-family-history-research.co.uk/new_page_2.htm

Within the text it states -

'Manchester Archives and the Local Studies at The Manchester Room hold many records for these schools including, Admission Registers (for Ardwick from 1866 to 1921) and Discharge Registers (for Ardwick 1896 to 1906) which contain some very useful information. One of the better examples is laid out below. Records for the Barnes Industrial School and the Northenden Girls Industrial School are also available. Other records held here are for the Swinton Industrial School, Styal Cottage Homes and Rose Hill (See below). Some records may be closed.'

Jan

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 20 Jun 2011 21:32

Cindy, got your message. Be sure to reply on threads though so all info is kept together.
have you tried the Manchester History forum?

www.manchester-forum.co.uk

Jan