Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW1 Regimental Photograhs

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cath2010

Cath2010 Report 21 Jun 2011 20:07

Does anyone know if it is possible to purchase old regimental photos?
I have found 2 great uncles who died in the 1st world war and while I have details of their service records, regiments served in memorials etc would love to know what they looked like. Were regiment / battalion photographs taken as matter of course and if so where could I find them?

Robin7

Robin7 Report 21 Jun 2011 20:19

Hi cathy

the sad thing about WW1 is alot of photo's have no names with them i have a few but there ones that were in the family like the one on my avatar is Samuel Stirk.

I got this one off someone in the Stirk line.

You could try Pals books i have the Pals of Leeds book which has lots of photo's some named but again alot not.

Its not easy with photo is it i have a photo of Nellie Stirk on my tree she is aged around 7 i also have a group photo that she is in at college as an adult but i can not tell which one she is and again there are no names with the photo.

But dont give up as i did spot my grandad in a photo of a home coming party for WW2 so you never know.

Rob

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 21 Jun 2011 20:29

Sometimes a photo was printed with a short obituary in the man's home town newspaper.

Gwyn

Cath2010

Cath2010 Report 21 Jun 2011 20:38

Robin7, I know it may not be possible to get a photo but if you don't ask you'll never know. Will keep on looking.
Gwyn, nothing found in local newspaper archives.

Thank you both for your replies.

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 22 Jun 2011 06:01

I have found a photograph of my ancestor on the UK, De RuvIgny's Roll of Honour. It also gives a little biography of his life

Also this site may be of interest to you

http://www.ww1photos.com/OnlineSearch.html

Cath2010

Cath2010 Report 22 Jun 2011 07:09

TootyFruity,
thanks for that info, will check out both when I get home from work.

Natalie

Natalie Report 23 Jul 2011 10:00

i emailed my local newspaper - who ran a 'Pictoral Role of Honour' during WW1. After 2/3 weeks they found my 2 uncles!!

You could always pop into your local libary, where they may have copies of old papers too - happy hunting!

Cath2010

Cath2010 Report 24 Jul 2011 07:23

Thanks Natalie.
I have tried local library with no success but have been told about a Museum that may be able to help so am heading there some time this week. Fingers crossed.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 24 Jul 2011 15:50

Rob,

Isn't your avatar a photo of President JFK ?

Kath. x

Robin7

Robin7 Report 25 Jul 2011 16:53

Yes Kath it is

Rob

Nannylicious

Nannylicious Report 25 Jul 2011 21:49

Thanks TootyFruity for the link. Have subscribed to the site as hubbie is a keen WWI researcher.