Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Tree Software

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Talanya

Talanya Report 23 Jun 2011 14:12

Hi

Is there any preferences in the Genes community as to which Family Tree software is 'the best'?

I understand we all have different preferences but for ease of use is one any better than the next or they much of a muchness?

Many thanks.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 23 Jun 2011 14:54

Well the best is really what suits peoples needs ,Some like one program and some prefer others . you pays your money and takes your choice I think.
Personally I use Family Tree Maker ,I know this is a popular choice for many . I did use the free version of Legacy from Family search but I get on better with FTM and find it easy to use.
I am sure others will give you their preferences too. :-D

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 23 Jun 2011 14:59

The most popular commercial family tree software is Family Tree Maker. Easy to use and links with Ancestry.

The latest version is 2011 and when bought comes with up to 6 months Ancestry membership included. There are some very good deals about probably the best is the Platinum edition which includes 6 months Ancestry premium membership (Worth £77.70). It can be purchased for about £30 if you shop around.

Talanya

Talanya Report 23 Jun 2011 15:02

Thanks for your replies. I may nudge this message again tonight when more people are about too. Although talking to people at work etc FTM is the preferred option!

Thanks again.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 23 Jun 2011 18:22

Another vote for Familytree Maker here.

Adeline

Adeline Report 23 Jun 2011 18:42

Family Historian works well for me. It is simple for a beginner to use but also has more advanced features to explore once you are familiar with the basics.

I can't compare it with any other genealogy software as it is the only program I have used.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 23 Jun 2011 18:44

Family Historian - the techies preference. Not that I am, but it was a gift and apparently had the best revues. Owner developed add-ons available at FHUG for free or voluntary donation.

Free 30 day download here. Try before you buy.

http://www.family-historian.co.uk/

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 23 Jun 2011 19:16

I wanted a site to transfer my tree from here to, just so it's on another site. I looked at a few free ones first, and chose Family Tree Builder, which seems to give me all I need for now.

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 23 Jun 2011 19:18

This is my thread.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1267545