Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Questtion about Lanc-Opc.org

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joe

Joe Report 25 Jun 2011 13:44

This website is very good, thanks for recommending it to me -

http://www.lan-opc.org.uk

When i click 'search' I can choose from different regions.

Most of my family was either in Manchester OR Salford.

When I choose my search criteria I can select the Church, or the town or the Whole Region....

but....if I click Salford + Whole Region, does this include Manchester?

If I choose Manchester + Whole Region, does this include Salford?

I don't really see what the point is of being able to select individual churches or parishes, if selecting Whole Region will cover everything anway??

Can anyone help me to understand it?

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 25 Jun 2011 14:07

Salford covers a big area, there are lots of churches. I've just looked for Weaste, seems to be working normally?
Likewise Manchester?
If you select whole region, you get all of Lancashire.

Joe

Joe Report 25 Jun 2011 16:54

It says Geneology " Chat " which implies a laid back place where people can post questions without people jumping on their backs?

I didn't realise I had to post every separate question on an existing thread, or that I have to go and ask a specific member for help.

If you can't say anything helpful, perhaps just don't say anything?

Joe.

Joe

Joe Report 25 Jun 2011 16:54

THANK YOU Granny Franny... :-)

Joe

Joe Report 25 Jun 2011 17:08

and Im sorry if that sounded a bit rude. I understand that searches for the same relatives or families should be on the same thread, but when I post a separate question on a separate subject, it seems a bit unfair to jump on me for it. Perhaps we're all having a bad day? I know I am. Apologies for never knowing exactly what the various rules are in here.

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 25 Jun 2011 21:30

Joe.
Good luck.

Maureen

mgnv

mgnv Report 25 Jun 2011 21:31

You could easily answer this yourself - e.g., pick a name from Salford, do your searches and see what finds him.

I don't know where you live - lets say Dubbo. Suppose you wanted an acquaintance's phone #. Why look in the Dubbo phone book when you can search all of NSW, eh?

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

You can browse the unindexed OPR images for many Greater Manchester churches at:
https://www.familysearch.org/s/collection/list#page=1®ion=EUROPE

They're under
England, Lancashire – Cheshire – Yorkshire Parish Registers, 1603-1992
but, in spite of the title, it's really Greater Manchester.

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 25 Jun 2011 21:48

hiding and ducking
but I'm still not going to Durham , Malcolm.

Maureen :-)

mgnv

mgnv Report 25 Jun 2011 22:20

Maureen - I don't blame you - thunderstorms and hot muggy nights right now. Still, North Carolina's quite nice in the fall, eh.

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 25 Jun 2011 22:23

:-D :-D :-D :-P <3

and a good old LOL!

Maureen

Flick

Flick Report 26 Jun 2011 11:51

Not sure what your problem is, Joe..............surely the more variety there is in search options, the more chance one has of finding the records one needs.............

If you have queries about the set-up of the site, you would do better to contact the people who run it.................they are the ones who will have the full answers.

There is a facility on their home page for e-mail contact

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 26 Jun 2011 13:24

Joe - on the search page just click

"You may click here to begin searching the whole county."

I rarely use anything else

It is useful to select a particular church sometimes to see what years have been transcribed and how many people for the specific name are at that church. Useful if you have not found the person you want with a general search to prove whether the years you want are missing. Some churches have quite large gaps in transcription