Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding the right house in Roscommon

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maureen R

Maureen R Report 26 Jun 2011 19:04

Hoping someone with a better knowledge of the Irish 1901 & 1911 census might be able to help me.
I have my grandfather, John Lynch, on both of them living at Cleggernagh (also variously written as Clogarnagh, Clogganagh etc on maps). My mother came to England in her teens and always wrote home to Cleggernagh, Frenchpark, Co Roscommon and letters got to the right family. But my problem is that I'd like to go and see if the house is still standing and try to take some photos (it was sold about 20 years ago). I visited in the early 1950s so have vague memories of it. A cousin's wife thinks she knows which one it was but isn't sure.
Has anyone any idea of how I can tell which of the 30 or so houses on the census relates to what's on the ground now?
Hoping against hope!

Maureen

Maura

Maura Report 26 Jun 2011 19:25

1901 there living at No.21, 1911 No. 28

Joy

Joy Report 26 Jun 2011 21:13

You could try contacting an estate agent about it, such as one here
http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=357153

Maureen R

Maureen R Report 27 Jun 2011 08:17

Thank you both. I've also been given the address of the valuation office in Dublin to try so fingers crossed :-)

Shipshape

Shipshape Report 4 Jul 2011 23:04

Why not go on google earth you can take a virtual tour I did
for my grans street in Ballinrobe co mayo Pauline

GinaS

GinaS Report 5 Jul 2011 06:06

Hi Maureen R,

If all else fails, I have found the local people a fountain of knowledge.

All the best, GinaS