Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

my contacts

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

brummie46

brummie46 Report 27 Jun 2011 16:27

Hi can anyone enlighten to what is wrong or is it me.
When i go into screen for My Contacts, on most pages it is showing only members contacts, but nothing for person looking for.
Can someone tell me if thiscan be corrected please, for are having to click on every contact name to see as to whom searching for.
thanks

patchem

patchem Report 27 Jun 2011 18:13

Once you are in 'my contacts' put the name of the person you are looking for in the word box, and then click on 'filter' This should give you a new list of relevant contacts.
Hope this is what you wanted.

If you go to 'in box' not 'my contacts' you have the title of the email that they sent.

Kense

Kense Report 27 Jun 2011 18:22

Presumably if the contact is via PM then the system does not have a name to put in the box. If it is via a hot match or tree match then it has a name associated with the contact.

brummie46

brummie46 Report 28 Jun 2011 11:39

thanks to Colin, yes that is exactly what i am saying.
so patchem are you saying if i have a joe bloggs as a contact and nothing as ancestor, i just put ancestor name in and it will show all members who have contacted with that ancestors name.
thanks for your help and time

Thelma

Thelma Report 28 Jun 2011 14:22

I use the star ratings
5 star my father's father's ancestors
4 star his mother's
3 star my mother's father's
2 star her mother's
1 star or no star the rest
Click "rating" and it will sort

brummie46

brummie46 Report 28 Jun 2011 17:10

sorry sat nav, do not quite understand as to what you are saying.
thanks

Thelma

Thelma Report 28 Jun 2011 19:51

I did not explain that at all well!
The home person has 4 grandparents
Click on the fifth star for one
Click on the forth for another,etc.
Now when you click on "rating" in the top bar all the 5 stars will be together etc.
You now have to look at the contacts that you are unsure of and give them the right number of stars.

brummie46

brummie46 Report 28 Jun 2011 20:52

Sorry, i dont know if it is one of those days, but still do not understand what you are saying Satnav.
My question was exactly as to what Colin has mentioned.
I am asking if i go to my contacts and it only shows members, how do i get ancestors name to show without having to click on all and every member to read messages (sent and from).