Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

My Sincere thanks....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allan

Allan Report 30 Jun 2011 09:28

To JaneyCanuck.

Janey has been helping me to try to discover the early life of my grandfather, Clifford Mortimer.

There is a seperate thread on this, but in so doing I have been able, with Janey's help, to make a small contribution to Canadian Military History.

Just recently Janey advised me of the existence of a postcard for sale in the USA, showing the hotel where my grandfather Clifford, and his soon to be wife , Adelaide, stayed in Blackpool, Lancashire, just prior to their wedding in 1904.

This address appeared on their subsequent marriage certificate.

At Janey's prompting, I purchased the postcard, and today received it in the mail.

For one brief moment, whilst awaiting for it to be delivered, I wondered whether it could have been sent by my grandfather.

Alas, that was not the case, but to have the postcard from the approximate period that my grandparents stayed at the hotel is like having a snapshot in time.

Janey, many thanks to you.

Allan

Persephone

Persephone Report 30 Jun 2011 10:35

I am so pleased for you Allan.

She is a good un at times... ;-)

Persie

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 30 Jun 2011 11:12

Excellent news Allan and what a lovely addition to your family history.

Janey should really make a career of genealogy methinks!

Cx

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 30 Jun 2011 14:06

I last spotted Janey discussing our Royals and several of her posts were being subjected to RR's perhaps she is taking a breather ?

I'm sure she will see this , good news allan :-D

Allan

Allan Report 30 Jun 2011 15:09

Thanks to you all,

Although my grandfather's early life remains shrouded in mystery, Janey has been a continuous researcher on my behalf and I do hope that one day we can together sort out where he came from.

Allan

DebifromLeeds

DebifromLeeds Report 30 Jun 2011 21:41

Janey has helped me loads too! I am really missing her quirky sense of humour and curt responses. Please let us know that you are ok, Janey.

Debi.x

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 30 Jun 2011 22:47

And my next helpful hint is try looking on facebook !!! LOL

Allan

Allan Report 30 Jun 2011 23:07

Sorry, Lindsey, I'm not a member of any social networking site but if Janey is on there perhaps you could pass on my thanks to her :-)

Allan

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 30 Jun 2011 23:22

I have posted your message on the genes reunited facebook site in case she happens by :-D

Allan

Allan Report 30 Jun 2011 23:25

Thanks for that, Lindsey :-)

Regards

Allan

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Jul 2011 02:03

Hi Allan

what a lovely thing to have. I'm so glad that you managed to get it.

Janey's one of the best with "impossible" brick walls!

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Jul 2011 02:04

madmik

are you trying to contact Janey?