Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bradford Worsted Mill

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

oldbean

oldbean Report 30 Jun 2011 12:48

Does anyone have a knowledge of Bradford Worsted Mills please? I have looked on history of Bradford sites but I am looking for a Mill that would have been close to Wild Boar Street where my Ancestor lived and worked around 1911. I am assuming that this street is no longer as I can see no reference to it latterly. Forgive me if this is not the correct board to ask for this kind of help.

Whitenancy

Whitenancy Report 30 Jun 2011 14:12

By 1841 there were 38 worsted mills in Bradford town and 70 in the borough and it was estimated that two-thirds of the country's wool production was processed in Bradford. Less than ten years later, Bradford had become the wool capital of the world with a population of 100,000 leading to the development of a solid engineering and manufacturing base and a key financial centre which has continued to flourish ever since.

Whitenancy

Whitenancy Report 30 Jun 2011 14:15

http://www.bradfordmuseums.org/venues/industrialmuseum/index.php could
try asking these people

from Genuk index of street name in bradford 1853

Wildboar street, Bolton road

oldbean

oldbean Report 30 Jun 2011 16:38

Thanks Whitenancy, I managed to find out how important the area was to the Industry, I just wondered if anyone had any first hand knowledge but thank you for the web address and your input with the Bolton Road too.