Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HOT MATCHES (FED UP WAITING)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Braken

Braken Report 30 Jun 2011 21:55

Is it too much to ask for NEW HOT MATCHES that you open look at and decide to keep or delete

I had a thread going and it has now been blocked as I have been told the matter has now been dealt with ON YOUR NELLY IT HAS

We will be into July tomoorw and as yet I have only had hot matches once this year (a couple of weeks ago) but alas I could not veiw them and now they have dissapeared

I AM STILL WAITING FOR SOME NEW HOT MATCHES THAT I CAN LOOK AT AND DELETE OR KEEP

FED UP CAROL

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 1 Jul 2011 11:00

Have you considered the possibility that you just haven't got any?

Now that the system matches pob as well as dob, then the number being reported has reduced to a mere trickle.

Flick

Flick Report 1 Jul 2011 13:41

If you wish GR to react to your complaint, put it on Suggestions board, which they look at

Winterose

Winterose Report 1 Jul 2011 18:23

Flick- excellent suggestion, now everyone with a complaint will post it on the Suggestion board!!

Good Luck All!!
Kathy :)

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 1 Jul 2011 20:23

I would image that everyones hot matches will be reduced to a trickle if matches are now being made by pob as well. I rarely had one (except 'Liverpool') which matched with pob

You only have to have a difference in spelling and no match will be made

eg
I have people in my tree from Simonswood, I have seen it in trees spelt Simmonswood - ergo no match

another example I have Todmorden, some people including some of mine have been defined with pob as the narrower area within Todmorden but the people were the same - now no match made

Braken

Braken Report 1 Jul 2011 22:29

Thanks for the advice

I do look to see if my rellies are on other trees for myself

I just used to look forward to receiving them every two weeks I have really found loads of info through them I found a cousion of my hubbies we didn't know existed from Hull and we are in the North East we met up for the day at Whitby It was great we exchanged pic's and info and have kept in touch I have also made loads of contacts through hot matches

Carol

pelo

pelo Report 2 Jul 2011 05:52

Hi Carol,

I had only one surname to start from when I joined GR & no real idea what part of the UK it was from - I live downunder & have no living rellies older than me to ask.

I just dived into every heading on the site & after slow initial progress had a few possible names & then the HOT Matches started appearing on a regular basis. I contacted each name given, got a number of rebuffs but kept going. Now I have a few more names GR never fails to send me Hot Matches - in fact I;ve just received a list today of which two are very firm leads.

Sometimes I find it is not so much the speed of tree growth but the opportunity to search the historical features of the time & get a more rounded pictureof the times that help me to be more precise in my searchingrequests & GR keeps coming to the party. The online contacts established are great.

Lois

Berniethatwas

Berniethatwas Report 2 Jul 2011 08:19

Well persons and others,
I'm rather impressed with the pob matching as I've had a number from "Isle of Wight"
matched with my entries of "IOW".
What they'll make of "M/Sex" is another question.
B