Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Passenger Shipping records to Australia

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

goldielocks

goldielocks Report 1 Jul 2011 01:57

Could someone please inform me if I would be able to find a maiden name on the records?Not her married name.
I have been trying to find a marriage certificate,but dont know her maiden name,so Iam thinking maybe if I locate a passenger list with her married name it may give me what Iam looking for.Does that make sense? I found a Jeannie Jackson departing Glasgow 1920,brth 1887.(married name)
Now Iam looking for her husband John brth 1885.Can anyone please help me with advise as Iam going around in circles. Many thanks Debra

Lynski

Lynski Report 1 Jul 2011 02:13

For reference -

Name: Jeannie JACKSON
Date of departure: 1 October 1920
Port of departure: Glasgow
Passenger destination port: Quebec, Canada
Passenger destination: Quebec, Canada

Date of Birth: 1887 (calculated from age)
Marital status:
Sex: Female
Passenger recorded on: Page 12 of 25

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ship:
Official Number:
Master's name:
Steamship Line:
Where bound:
Square feet:
Registered tonnage:
Passengers on voyage:
CASSANDRA
James Black
Anchor-Donaldson
Montreal, Canada

goldielocks

goldielocks Report 1 Jul 2011 02:21

thanks for that Lynski,but this Jeannie ends up in Australia,and has a child James not long after. Can not find her listed anywhere.Unless she came to Australia via Canada?

Lynski

Lynski Report 1 Jul 2011 02:24

Do you know where Jeannie was born?

goldielocks

goldielocks Report 1 Jul 2011 02:28

only a guess??Scotland.
As I can not locate a marriage certificate with her and John Jackson,and do not know her maiden name,Iam lost.Thats why I thought passenger lists may of been helpful?they both lived in Australia,and still un able to find her?

goldielocks

goldielocks Report 1 Jul 2011 02:28

only a guess??Scotland.
As I can not locate a marriage certificate with her and John Jackson,and do not know her maiden name,Iam lost.Thats why I thought passenger lists may of been helpful?they both lived in Australia,and still un able to find her?

Lynski

Lynski Report 1 Jul 2011 03:04

Do you know when her son was born? What year?

Did she have any more children?

goldielocks

goldielocks Report 1 Jul 2011 03:22

this is the problem..She was married to my granfather John Jackson(first family)and they had 2 children James and Sadie,many years apart..They lived in Australia,but can not find birth,marraige certificatesof any of them,now this is only a guess,but James was at his fathers funeral in 1957,and his age was abt mid 20's.I dont know when John arrived or even if Jean was with him.But there is no marriage records here for them,so now because John was born in Scotland (Motherwell) and he was discharged from the Army in 1917,Iam thinking the time frame would be around 1920 when he left Scotland,with a wife?But no one can find a marriage certificate in Scotland either,so thats why Iam now thinking about passenger lists to Australia.Do you think thats the best direction for me to follow.?

Lynski

Lynski Report 1 Jul 2011 04:42

The passenger lists to Australia will only show the name she travelled under and if this was her married name then you wont find her maiden name??

goldielocks

goldielocks Report 1 Jul 2011 05:58

ok,Thanks for your help,just needed advise on how to find a way of finding her. kind Regards Debbie

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 1 Jul 2011 17:43

Did John have any middle names?
I wondered whether we could find an army record which named his wife and possibly mentioned their marriage.

Many Scottish Jeannies were in fact Jane.............
Does her death certificate give her maiden name or any more details about her?

Gwyn

goldielocks

goldielocks Report 2 Jul 2011 02:11

Sorry Gwyn,
I dont know anything about Jean,Jeannie.as she was the 1st family of my grandad,My grandad John Jackson had no middle name,but was in the 1st seaforth Highlanders 1914-1917. I have sent for his death certificate,but it depends on who filled out the form as if its got past family information? Iam not holding my breath! as my granny didnt even know his parents name.. Thanking you for your interest , Kind regards Debbie

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 2 Jul 2011 06:35

There are a few things you can search but as you are missing critical information it will be slow going.

I have done a search of the Ancestry Military records. There are John Jackson records serving in WW1. However which he is is a problem because you do not know where he was when he enlisted. There is more than one person of that name.

The National Archives have a medal card for two John Jackson of the Seaford Highlanders. Thst's all it is just a card. Hmm it might be possible to take the service number and match it to the records in Ancestry.

Have you tried googling 1st Seaford Highlanders. If you do there is a lot of info you could go through, including someone else who is researching the regiment. You need to know which unit, battalion, etc etc your grandfather was in.

Have you tried searching the trees on GR for the same named person.

As I said until you have some linking names or places your search will be frustratingly slow.

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 2 Jul 2011 06:39

Here are the marriages in Scotland between 1905 and 1930. It will give you an indication of how many and where.

1 1908 JACKSON JOHN BADGER JEANIE COATBRIDGE OR OLD MONKLAND /LANARK

2 1902 JACKSON JOHN BAXTER JEANIE HUTCHESONTOWN GLASGOW CITY/LANARK

3 1901 JACKSON JOHN KERR JEANIE STEWART BLYTHSWOOD GLASGOW CITY/LANARK

4 1914 JACKSON JOHN MCMILLAN JEANIE MC RUTHERGLEN GLASGOW CITY/LANARK

5 1906 JACKSON JOHN MCNAIR JEANIE HAMILTON /LANARK

6 1924 JACKSON JOHN WALKER ELIZABETH J BLYTHSWOOD GLASGOW CITY/LANARK

7 1904 JACKSON JOHN A REID JEANIE TROQUEER /KIRKCUDBRIGHT

8 1917 JACKSON JOHN MC LIVINGSTONE JEAN E HILLHEAD GLASGOW CITY/LANARK

goldielocks

goldielocks Report 2 Jul 2011 07:12

Thankyou, at least now I will be able to check out another area,I have tried other members trees but either no reply,or not the same family. I will google the 1st Seaforth Highlanders and see if I can locate this man,and any details he may have listed. Thankyou for all your help, kind regards Debbie

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 2 Jul 2011 07:49

Debbie the marriages information above is supposed to be in a table. In that format it is easy to understand. GR does not have tables so everything is squished together. You could copy and paste it to a word document and then convert it to a table or just put tabs between the different information. The date is date of marriage, then John Jackson, then wife's maiden name, then Jean, Jeanie, then the place. If you come across something which clicks let me know and I will give you the GRO references.

It may be a case of selecting a couple of close matches and getting the certificates. However until you know his wife's maiden name that ain't going to help because you won't know which is correct. Unless of course you know his parents name which might be on the certificate.

Keep looking, there's a looooong way to go yet.

goldielocks

goldielocks Report 4 Jul 2011 09:42

Thankyou for your help, I just got in the mail today the death certificate of my grand dad,and the name of his first wife...
Her name is listed as Jean Blair married at Motherwell Scotland. two children names James Jackson and Sarah Jackson.James must of been born in Scotland because Sarah is born the year they arrived 1922. So now I have something to follow. Yahoo Iam thrilled!!!

goldielocks

goldielocks Report 26 Aug 2012 00:30

Thankyou all for your help.found them.thank you

Lynski

Lynski Report 26 Aug 2012 02:28

That's great news - very pleased for you.