Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Scotlands People-free credits!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 8 Jul 2011 17:46

Worth noting, if you don't already know, that you can get 10 free by signing up to the Ancestral Scotland newsletter here http://www.ancestralscotland.com/signup/register/.
These will relase any credits that have expired too!
Hope this helps some people!
Rebecca

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 8 Jul 2011 18:29

Rebecca,
Thanks a lot for the link..

Sue

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 8 Jul 2011 18:39

Your welcome sue, its a pain that the credits expire but handy to get them released again!!!

FRANK06

FRANK06 Report 8 Jul 2011 20:26

Scotlands People credits are now valid for 365 days. :-D :-D

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 8 Jul 2011 21:01

thank you that is very useful indeed, I have expired credits I will be happy to get back ! and also good to know they are good for a year now :-)

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 8 Jul 2011 23:18

I have used all mine and have to buy new ones. Thanks for the hint I'll combine the two lots.

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 8 Jul 2011 23:40

Having a bit of a giggle. Loved the options you have to complete in order to register. When are you visiting Scotland, are you thinking about visiting Scotland, and if you haven't made up your mind yet, let us help you do so!!! Or words to that effect.

No option for "no I am not contemplating visiting Scotland, wild horses would not drag me over there, I just want the free credits so I can research OHs rellies who were clever enough to emigrate from there".

I gather, as I checked the, "haven't made up my mind yet" option I will be inundated with glossy coloured emails, extolling the virtues of visiting.

I sent them an email, was very truthful, told them I just want the credits, and please don't send me visions of windswept craggy mountain ranges or snow covered cities.

Oh well I know where the delete button is. Wonder if I will still get my freebies.

FRANK06

FRANK06 Report 9 Jul 2011 10:55

Hey Aunty,

Yes, it rains in Scotland and this has been one of our worst summers yet......... still raining :-S :-(

But apart from the rubbish weather, language difficulties, black pudding, haggis, deep fried Mars bar, chips, men in skirts, bagpipes, whisky, why wouldn't wild horses drag you over here?

You don't come to Scotland for a suntan as it's another country altogether where you can find all four seasons in one day!

Try cycling up through Glencoe, when on approach, the sun is beating down (well ok, perhaps not exactly beating down) then it turns cold (er) with the clouds reaching down almost to the roadside, it's quite an eerie feeling .
That could of course be the last of your rain soaked gear starting to dry out before hitting the next deluge.

Check it out, you may be surprised, but then again??

"Wha's like us". :-P :-D

P.S. You don't get submerged in an avalanche of junk mail and as you say, there's always the delete button. ;-)

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 9 Jul 2011 11:50

Hi Frank,

I am in Australia. Most of the people traffic has been one way from UK to Oz. Occasionally we repatriate immigrants back to the UK, including Scotland, however on the whole they become worthwhile Australian citizens with a little training.

I am not a fan of overseas travel. Any travel I do is by train or ship. I do not fly. This self imposed constraint limits my opportunities for overseas travel. I am a veteran of several long distance train expeditions much to the amusement of my children who travelled the same journey, but by air, and arrived the day before I did.

There are sufficient fog bound cycling opportunities in Oz to wet the appetite, not to mention the clothing, should anyone desire such strenuous exercise. And if I need four seasons in one day I can drive across the border to a quaint little place called Victoria which is renown for that phenonemon.

What springs to mind when you say Scotland. Ha! That is easy. Edinburgh Military Tattoo and Hamish MacBeth. With additional thought, Mary Queen of Scots, Culloden, Billy Connelly, Robert Burns, haggis, auld lang syne, heather, ship building, Glasgow and Scarpa Flow and yes you are correct, the language difficulties. None of which engenders any desire to forsake these sunny shores for a visit. The adjective "sunny" is used with fond memories of a time when it was sunny over here. Right now in the middle of our winter it is cold, wet, windy and miserable.

By the way I have my credits. For which I am very grateful. My OH had one set of (numerous) great grandparents born in Scotland. The way the search is going I will need the credits and then some.

Potty

Potty Report 9 Jul 2011 15:30

Scotland in June, July and August - if the rain doesn't get you, the midges will!

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 9 Jul 2011 17:01

Well im glad the thread has prompted everyone to give us a weather report on Scotland!! LOL , hope its sunnier than Devon here!!!!! Just hope the link has helped a few people!!!

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 9 Jul 2011 21:32

Hi Rebecca, And my apologies too for hyjacking your thread. It has really brought attention to the offer of free credits and all participants have learned a little about Scotland.

Why does it rain in June July and August. Is not that your summer. If it is cold and rainy that time of the year what is it like in December/January.

Of course it could be summer rain, 30 degrees celsius, warm and humid. Are you laughing?

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 9 Jul 2011 22:36

Hi again, no worries about hijacking!!! Terrible weather for July in sunny Devon, its only been about 18c today with lots of cloud and no sun! It should be at least 25 at this time of year, just hope it improves! This past dec/jan it was very cold , about -10c some nights!
Hope you have agreat weekend! Rebecca

FRANK06

FRANK06 Report 10 Jul 2011 11:53

Well Joan, here in Glasgow we just hang our duvets out on the line and let the rain wash them. ;-) :-S

.................and as for December/ January our last winter paralysed the whole city with one crazy deep freeze which was the worst I can remember.

Mind you, the east coast isn't a total bed of roses as I can recall making a delivery to Aberdeen one weekend in the 80s and having to stay overnight, such was the severity of the snow.

Apologies about the hijacking of this thread but it does push it up to the top again.
My OH is a Fifer so I do love the east coast as long as it doesn't snow (except at christmas) and I do love their accents? ....... Ken ;-) :-S :-D

The most interesting has to be Wick ............ fwurraboots ?? :-S :-S :-D

Aunty Sherlock, It's not all haggis and bagpipes, we have the SNP. :-S :-S
Summer tends to be cool at 18/19c so I think you are mixing it up with Washington DC where my daughter complains about 100f and 90% humidity.

Wouldn't it be a boring world if we were all the same and had nothing to moan about. :-D

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 10 Jul 2011 12:09

Thank for that,I@ve got my credits.I had a pm from a friend pointing out your thread :-D

Frank.. I dinnae Ken who this Ken is. I bet he has some braw bairns too lol

Accents..have a look.

http://www.ayecan.com/listen_to_scots.html

Marion

FRANK06

FRANK06 Report 10 Jul 2011 12:56

Hi Marion,

I thought those accents would have been a bit rougher as I can recall meeting my OH's Fife family for the first time and while her mother almost sang the language, at least I could understand it. Her father and brother were a different matter altogether and I still have to listen carefully.

Rather makes a mockery of the proposed SNP thoughts that we should all learn Scots which to me are local dialects rather than an actual language.

Wha's like us, right enough ken :-S :-D :-P

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 10 Jul 2011 13:18

We went to Skye for a trip two years ago and I loved the accents.