Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth, marriages and Death records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

lesleymargaret

lesleymargaret Report 21 Jul 2011 19:45

All the sites have only transcribed and entered details up until 2005, is it because they are not allowed to give completely up to date records on the Internet and does anyone know when they might add the next couple of years.

Thanks

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 21 Jul 2011 19:51

FMP have some deaths for 2006 but not many

Pam

Pam Report 21 Jul 2011 21:52

As I understand it, no further records will be put online.

EDIT:

Have found this reply to an e-mail sent to FMP in 2008:

The existing marriage records available on the site will remain however the GRO (General Records Office) will not be distributing any more Birth, Marriages or Death records in future as the law has now changed on this.

That means that no new records are going to be added EVER to the online search facilities. So its not limited to marriages only!!

lesleymargaret

lesleymargaret Report 22 Jul 2011 07:43

Hi Pam,

thanks for this, how on earth are we to find BMDs after 2005. We cannot go to the Family Records Office in London so in future we will not be able to trace developments within our families, since I thought they were only available on line.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 22 Jul 2011 07:56

I don't think the law has actually changed, but you are correct in that the GRO are currently not selling the index to third parties. This was a policy change introduced when they started their own digitization program which sadly was mothballed when the funds ran out.

A complete set of GRO Indexes are available to view in microfiche format at Birmingham Central Library, Bridgend Reference and Information Library, The British Library, City of Westminster Archives Centre, London Metropolitan Archives, Greater Manchester County Record Office and Plymouth Central Library. The indexes are available for searching by the public but the records themselves are not available for scrutiny. There is no charge for searching the indexes.

Some public libraries and other organisations hold full or part sets of the GRO Indexes on microfiche or CD ROM.

lesleymargaret

lesleymargaret Report 22 Jul 2011 16:55

Thanks InspectorGreenPen,

fortunately I can go to the LMA, British Library or City of Westminster Achives, feel sorry for those overseas trying to find recent additions