Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Tree on Ancestry

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

lesleymargaret

lesleymargaret Report 22 Jul 2011 07:46

Hi everyone,

I am thinking of changing my family tree on this site to "Private" to prevent people adding names to their tree for the sake of - am more than happy for people to take details from it if they have a reason. I have looked at the site but cannot see how to do it, do I need to upload a new tree. I am in contact with a view people who I have invited to look at it and we help each other I still want to give them full access to it.

Thanks

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 22 Jul 2011 07:49

Have a look at the Ancestry Help Page on the subject

http://learn.ancestry.com/LearnMore/Article.aspx?id=11397

You don't need to load a new tree, scroll down a bit to see how it is done for existing trees.

Carol

Carol Report 22 Jul 2011 09:36

Hi Lesley, did you manage to get this sorted? I had the same problem last year, one person in particular was not only taking names from my ancestry tree but she was also using my personal photographs on her tree!! I am all for helping people out with information about my tree if they ask but to just use things without asking I find a bit frustrating to say the least,

Regards
CW

lesleymargaret

lesleymargaret Report 22 Jul 2011 16:52

Thanks very much for the information, yes it is now private, I still want the people I am in contact with to see all my tree have as we have ancestors in common so hopefully they will be ok.

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 22 Jul 2011 17:11

Lesley if you want anyone to see your tree on Ancestry once it is private you have to send them an invite.

lesleymargaret

lesleymargaret Report 23 Jul 2011 08:22

Thanks for letting me know I need to invite them again which I have done.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 23 Jul 2011 18:11

Jean,

You are quite correct, people should ask first, but sadly, once something goes on the internet, you no longer have a say what happens. Even if something is 'private' there is no guarantee that it won't appear somewhere else.

I'm sure you were beautiful as a teenager - be proud that others may get the chance to see you.

My surname is quite unusual and if you google search on it you will get photos of a few of my family. Quite spooky at first but we laugh about it know.

Members also need to be aware that if they put photos on their GR tree, then anyone who has been given access is able to download copies.

Pam

Pam Report 23 Jul 2011 18:14

I don't put photo's on internet family trees but I put them on the FTM programme on my computer.

Peter

Peter Report 26 Jul 2011 11:55

I have another view on photos, I often copy photos from other peoples trees, I use them as my private verification of details and sources, but the photos I post are mine, (not ones that have been taken from other people,)I don't care if somone else uses my photos, but then I am selective about which photos I publish.
Peter

jax

jax Report 26 Jul 2011 13:33

A second cousin of mine has a family photo of my grandparents, aunt and dad on her tree. I mention ed that although 3 of them were now dead my dad was not.

My dad is not named on her tree and the photo is still there but no one can take it as it comes up with this message

Private Photo
To maintain the privacy of our members, this Photo is being kept private since it is attached to someone who is living.

To gain access to this Photo, please contact the owner.

jax