Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Just wondering?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

oldbean

oldbean Report 23 Jul 2011 13:57

This may sound a daft question but I have 2 people who I would like to add to my tree although they are not blood relatives.

My Father was brought up by a family friend from at least the age of 3 yrs old after his Mother died, this ladies Son took on the role of Brother and they became inseperable.

I was brought up believing that he was a true Uncle and along with his wife Aunt until I was old enough to understand. They didn't have children and so my Brother and I were very close to them. I would hate to not have them (belonging) to me and my tree but is this wise, has anyone else come across this please?

oldbean

Persephone

Persephone Report 23 Jul 2011 14:14

Do you think they would be honoured to be in your tree? I know if I was in their situation I would be.

There is no written rule that you cannot do this, it is your tree.

My cousin brought two young children back from Russia and they are part of our family and are in the tree. They are definitely not blood relatives.

Persie

Thelma

Thelma Report 23 Jul 2011 14:15

A lot of people add non blood people to their tree.
Particularly adoptive parents.
If you do decide to add then a way is to add the family friend as a second wife to his father,explain in the notes.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 23 Jul 2011 14:27

Of course you should add them. There is a technical difficulty in that the GR tree does not allow unconnected branches to be entered on-line.

However commercial software will allow this and you could then upload a gedcom to GR which will then accept the new branch. Thelmas suggestion would be the alternative workaround if you dont have a tree package.

oldbean

oldbean Report 23 Jul 2011 15:57

Thank you all very much for your heart warming replies! Unfortunately both my 'Uncle and Aunt' are both dead but I think of them an awful lot and miss them, which is why the question arose. Thanks all again.

oldbean

Janet

Janet Report 23 Jul 2011 16:50

I would say oldbean that there are thousands of people on this site who put names onto their tree who aren't related...................... and thats in spite of being told that they have 'stolen' someone elses relatives by mistake so I would go ahead and put your 'chosen family' where you would like to see them.-jl

oldbean

oldbean Report 24 Jul 2011 18:39

Thank you Janet, thats what I sort of thought! It is nice when someone suggests that it's not a silly idea though so thank you again.

oldbean x

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 24 Jul 2011 18:55

oldbean
i have 2 adopted children in my tree i dont no nothink about them only there first names and im hoping one day some one will spot them and can tell me more about them

so i say yes put there lovely people in your tree

oldbean

oldbean Report 25 Jul 2011 06:11

That's a lovely reply thank you, I wish you loads of luck that you will have success one day Shelly.

oldbean