Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FTM 2010

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 27 Jul 2011 15:40

Help !

I was given this a few months ago and decided to install it today(my sub is due Friday and it has 3 months free !)

How long should it take ?

I passed the registration bit and was on "auto install" after 20 minutes I cancelled as I thought it had "stalled"

Now I cannot get started again-I get
"an instance of set-up is already running only one instance of set up can run at a time"
If I click "OK" the whole screen is wiped and nothing more happens !! :-(

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 27 Jul 2011 16:14

Should only take a few minutes so sounds as though something has gone awry with the install.

Without sitting in front of your PC it is a bit difficult to see precisely what has happened. Sometimes putting the FTM disk back in and re-running the install will sort things out. If this doesn't work, as your post might indicate, then there are a couple of things you could try.

1. Before doing anything, Do a system backup so you can restore you existing setting if anything goes wrong

2. Go to Control Panel, Add / Remove programs and see if it is liseted. If it is, try to remove it from here.

3. If this doesn't work, In My Computer got to program files and look for a directory called Family Tree Maker 2010 Delete the directory and all its contents. Be very careful that you dont delete any other directories by mistake.

4. Insert your disc and reinstall the software.

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 27 Jul 2011 18:29

Many thanks IGP.

I tried all your suggestions without success and decided to shut down the computer-and it would not shut down !!

Turned it off at the wall in the end and went for some tea,came back and tried the installation again again-SUCCESS :-)

Now it will not let me register -will phone them tomorrow !

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 27 Jul 2011 18:42

Sound like twisted knickers.....! Glad to hear that your FTM is installed ok

Ancestry should be able to sort out your membership now.

Good luck.....!

PS.

Pulling out the plug is not always recommended but obviously worked in your case.....!

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 28 Jul 2011 00:11

Dunno if it werks wiv most pooters,
but! it werks wiv mine...........by pressing/holding the start button for more than three seconds causes the pooter to shutdown. allowing a restart........

Bob

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 28 Jul 2011 07:56

If it is now installed, try right clicking on the icon and then. Run as administrator .....this also helps when trying to update the program.

There are lovely people on the other end of the phone too :-)

sailorbaz

sailorbaz Report 28 Jul 2011 12:42

I had the same problem today. I switched off Norton anti-virus for 15 minutes and it loaded straight away.
Barry

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 28 Jul 2011 14:30

All sorted now-thank you to all for the suggestions and tips