Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Wandsworth Prison Burial - 1920's

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Caroline

Caroline Report 30 Jul 2011 14:05

Hi

I wondered if anybody knew how I would find a burial record for a prisoner hung at Wandsworth in the 1920's?

Also, does anybody know what happens to an executed person's probate after death?

Many thanks

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 30 Jul 2011 14:11

I may be wrong but I think that people who were executed were normally buried within the confines of the place of their execution.

The requirement for burial within the precincts of the prison was introduced by the Criminal Law Consolidation Act of 1861.

As far as their estate I imagine that it would have been dealt with in the usual manner.

Adeline

Adeline Report 30 Jul 2011 14:20

"After the autopsy and inquest, the prisoner was buried within the walls of the prison, usually at lunchtime on the day of execution."

See www.capitalpunishmentuk.org/hanging1.html#modern

Caroline

Caroline Report 1 Aug 2011 13:37

Many thanks for your replies. Very interesting.

Does anyone have ideas about the Probate?

Kay????

Kay???? Report 1 Aug 2011 14:01

All prisoners were granted the same legal rights to a Will,be it making one or a benificator.

His name maybe on Ancestry Probate records.?

wisechild

wisechild Report 1 Aug 2011 14:54

Have you tried contacting the prison?
It would have been under the control of the Home Office which is Civil Service, so I´m pretty sure that records will have to have been kept somewhere.
There will almost certainly be a closure period on the records as there are with coroners records. Probably 75 to 100 years, but you may be lucky.

Caroline

Caroline Report 1 Aug 2011 17:37

Thanks both.
I have looked on Ancestry probate yes, to no avail unfortunately.

I have not found a contact email for the prison as yet, but will keep looking.

Again, thanks for your help.