Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

mug shot

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joseph

Joseph Report 31 Jul 2011 13:27

hi,i recently came across a criminal record on ancestry of my great aunt,it was very detailed and included a photograph of of her,,today it would be called a mug shot i suppose..attached to the side was a newspaper clipping
from the local paper,stating name,crime and sentence, which i find odd as the photo was take at millbank and that is 150 miles away from the place of sentence ,would ancestry have go to the trouble of doing that?? now my problem is i wish to get a good quality copy and enlarge it but it is a poor copy and obviously can be copied and enhanced and copied by ancestry outlet.
any ideas off you good folks?
regards joe

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 31 Jul 2011 13:33

Was she transported? People were sent to Millbank while awaiting a place on a convict ship.

Joseph

Joseph Report 31 Jul 2011 13:46

hi beverleyw, she served 4,of a 7 year sentence,then released on license
regards joe.

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 31 Jul 2011 16:07

Millbank was established as a Penitentiary where the aim was to reform rather than just incarcerate its inmates. Prior to its establishment prisoners would simply be locked up in a jail local to where their crime was committed or where they stood trial.

In addition to those who had been sentenced to transportation (Which ceased in 1868), criminals from all over the country were sent there to serve out their sentences. One of my wife's ancestors spent time there in the 1870's having been found guilty of housebreaking in Birmingham in 1870.

Joseph

Joseph Report 31 Jul 2011 18:37

Hi Jonesey,looking at her record again i see she had 12 misdemeanors in local courts,which i have no info on,then 3 convictions tried at quarter sessions and imprisoned on the 3rd one i see that after 2 years she was sent to streatham?and then she was released on license from Fulham cant find her after 1885?
Regards Joe.

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 31 Jul 2011 19:13

Would suggest that you go to Rootschat, follow the link. There are some very clever people on there.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,298.0.html

Joseph

Joseph Report 31 Jul 2011 19:25

Hi Mr Magoo ok thank you i will have a look
regards joe

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 31 Jul 2011 21:34

Joseph,

This link below may help you to discover what her misdemeanour's were through reports in the newspapers of the day. In my wife's ancestors case it I found full details in the Birmingham Mail of what he had been up to and what he had stolen ect.

http://www.genesreunited.co.za/boards.page/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1232629

TinaElizabeth

TinaElizabeth Report 31 Jul 2011 21:53

I haven't been lucky enough to find a mug shot as of yet.

Tina

Joseph

Joseph Report 31 Jul 2011 23:42

hi Tina it was a great find last thing i would have expected .
regards joe