Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trade directories, London. Help pls

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RStar

RStar Report 31 Jul 2011 14:22

William Brooks born 1825 died 1879 was a plasterer in London. Having gone through his life with a fine tooth comb I want more.... he was a plasterer so Im wondering if he would be in any kind of trade directory or simialr. If so, how do I go about finding these? I cant get to London at the moment. Thankyou.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 31 Jul 2011 14:51

If he was an employee he would probably not be in a trades directory, but if he was the boss he will be.

Try http://www.historicaldirectories.org which is free.

RStar

RStar Report 31 Jul 2011 14:59

Thanks. Ive never established if he was self employed, am hoping he was. x

Nannylicious

Nannylicious Report 31 Jul 2011 22:23

Find My Past have just released new business records which might be a source of information. It's easy to do a search by surname (provided of course that the business was in his name).

Janet

Janet Report 1 Aug 2011 10:14

romany star- Sometimes when a person was an employer there was a note on the census saying that they had their 'own account' and sometimes it mentioned how many people they employed. This might give you a clue.- jl

RStar

RStar Report 4 Aug 2011 21:54

Many thanks! Oh Janet, Ive a Nellie Haigh in my tree from York area, your 'Haigh' name at the bottom of your post jumped out at me.

Janet

Janet Report 5 Aug 2011 12:23

.....RS....there's thousands of them in Yorkshire but I haven't got a Nellie Haigh...sorry...j