Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Prestwich - Manchester?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

*Alison*

*Alison* Report 3 Aug 2011 13:46

Hi,

I know this may seem a silly question! but does Prestwich come under Manchester? i want to order a death cert, the death was registered in Prestwich, so would i apply for the cert at manchester Council?

Thanks, Alison.

Keeley1973

Keeley1973 Report 3 Aug 2011 13:58

Assuming the death was 2005 before and you have the GRO ref why not order straight from GRO? It is £9.25 and if you have the reference it is issued after 3 working days. I can't imagine it is any cheaper to get it from local offices. I have even managed to order without a GRO ref for a death which is later than 2005 as I had the rough time period (they will search +/- 1 year). If they cannot find it within that time period, they will refund you your money. However, without the ref it can take 14 working days to come if they can locate it.

*Alison*

*Alison* Report 3 Aug 2011 15:07

Thanks! i will do that, i just thought it would be quicker from the local office.

Thanks again, Alison

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 3 Aug 2011 15:08

Prestwich seems to be rather complicated!

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/prestwich.html

Just order online as suggested above. Or ring the register office at Mcr to check.

Jan

Flick

Flick Report 3 Aug 2011 15:51

If you order from the local office, you will have to pay £9.00 plus two lots of postage.......cheaper to get it from the GRO...........

I made the mistake of ordering a cert from a local office.........it was hand-written on the day of issue, and the info had been wrongly copied by the clerk who did it.

The GRO certs are photocopies of the register entries, and are therefore at least contemporary with the event

mgnv

mgnv Report 3 Aug 2011 17:42

Try a look up at http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/
If they've transcribed it, it will say which modern office holds the rego.

Also, reading Flick's post, some people believe a mistranscription made today is wronger than a mistranscription made 120 y ago when some other clerk copied the rego to send it to the GRO.

*Alison*

*Alison* Report 3 Aug 2011 20:16

Thanks everybody for your messages, i will order it from the GRO.

Alison. :-)