Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Gedcom information please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

chaps

chaps Report 5 Aug 2011 11:18

Can you help please?

Like most people I have my family tree on GR. As the tree is growing I am more aware that if there was a system glich or the unthinkable - that GR folds how do I retrieve my tree ? I don't fully understand what will happen if I use Gedcom to trasfer files or indeed how to do it. Idealy I would like to transfer it to my external harddrive.

Would appreciate any information

Thank you

Andrew

Andrew Report 5 Aug 2011 11:53

A GEDCOM is a text file that holds the details of your tree. You can export the tree from GR, who send it to you as an email attachment. The tree on GR is unchanged. You can then import the GEDCOM into any other family tree program that will accept it. What the GEDCOM won't do is save any attachments to your tree, eg census records and photos. If you import a GEDCOM into GR it will overwrite what is there and the original will be lost. On other sites and free standind programs you can have multiple trees as long as they have different names.

Hope this helps

Andy

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 5 Aug 2011 11:55

Nudged up a good thread on GEDCOMs for you

chaps

chaps Report 5 Aug 2011 12:48

Thank for your help. So if I export to Ancestry, I won't lose any information except photos or attachments. Do I have to export first or do I need to import from Ancestry. I'll give it a try and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again
Tony

Andrew

Andrew Report 5 Aug 2011 13:09

Export first from GR. This will arrive as ana attchment in your email. Save the attchment somewhere on your computer and then import to Ancrstry.

Andy

chaps

chaps Report 5 Aug 2011 13:44

Hi,

Thanks for your help.

I have now exported the file from GR. I received an email, so I guess this is what I will need to import to Ancestry !! fingers crossed.

Tony

chaps

chaps Report 5 Aug 2011 14:54

Just to let you know that after a few attempts, I have successfuly exported my tree from GR to Ancestry and have a text file for future uploads. Phew !!

Thanks

Tony

Andrew

Andrew Report 5 Aug 2011 15:36

Good stuff!

Don't forget to export your GEDCOM as you update the tree.

Andy

chaps

chaps Report 5 Aug 2011 20:50

Will do. Thanks again!!.

Tony

Joy

Joy Report 5 Aug 2011 21:07

And keep it off the internet, too :-)

miffed

miffed Report 5 Aug 2011 22:03

Very useful post, but please can I add a question to the original .....

so when you keep updating the genes tree, do you keep sending a fresh gedcom to ancestry and this new one overrides the current one? Does that also apply to FTM?

P.S. How do you get that Researching: note at bottom of post Joy?

Hope you dont mind me adding my bit Chippychap..Thanku

miffed

miffed Report 5 Aug 2011 22:04

OOOOh, Ive just noticed something added to my post, how did that happen? Can I alter it? How exciting.

Andrew

Andrew Report 5 Aug 2011 22:13

Some program (including GR) will overwrite the existing tree if you important a GEDCOM. With Ancestry and FTM you can have multiple trees as long as they have different titles.

You can add the research details via 'my account' at the top of the page

You can edit or delete your own posts after posting using the tabs at the top of the post

Andy

miffed

miffed Report 5 Aug 2011 22:23

Thankyou Andrew. Success in footnote. Done something right!

If I only ever have one tree on each program/website and continuously work on my genes tree, do I simply send a new gedcom to each tree every time I update it on genes? Have I explained myself properly? :-S

Kense

Kense Report 5 Aug 2011 22:43

It is a good idea to keep the master on one site and send GEDCOMs to the other sites otherwise you have to spend a lot of time keeping the separate trees in phase.

It is probably better to keep your master on Ancestry as there are more facilities there than on Genes. Even better have a master on a decent family tree program as then you have more control and more checking facilities.

Ken

Joy

Joy Report 5 Aug 2011 22:47

"How do you get that Researching: note at bottom of post Joy?"
- in the update profile - as I think you have done now? ;-)

I only keep some of my direct ancestral family on here. I keep my ancestral family on a family tree programme on the computer.