Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

advice

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

broomstick

broomstick Report 5 Aug 2011 13:57

Hi

Just wonder if someone could point me in the right direction

I just happened to be searching on the family search site and came across a death of Joseph Doyle born 1861 manchester died june 1936 Toledo Ohio army salvation headquarters

,to my surprise it is the Joseph Doyle I have been searching for on the list it gives his parents names as Joseph Doyle and Ellen Leonard both correct now my question is how would he have gone there ?
his wife Mary Bancroft re married in 1917!!!!!!!!!!!

I am aware that divorce in those days was difficult how would I find when he went and if he did indeed re marry also

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 5 Aug 2011 14:26

A good find indeed.

As you say at that time divorce was virtually impossible for anyone who was not wealthy so it may have been that the couple simply parted and went their separate ways as many did. As far as his wife remarrying is concerned, once again it appears that after splitting from their original partners lots of separated people went on to marry others whether divorced or not.

As far as tracing when he went to the USA that is likely to be difficult because of his name which was quite a common one. Ancestry has passenger lists of people arriving at various locations in the USA but unfortunately the personal details of the passengers are very sketchy.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 5 Aug 2011 16:57

Worth checking on The National Archives site if you think they might have divorced. It wasn't common in the 19th century but by the early part of the 20th century it was becoming more common.

Here's the link to their catalogue page:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/search.asp

Jill

Kay????

Kay???? Report 5 Aug 2011 17:51

Back then you could be granted a divorce after 7 years under desertion...provided there had been no contact and reasonable steps had been taken to locate the person,,,,,,,also after 7 years the spouse could be declared dead,,,,!!

mgnv

mgnv Report 5 Aug 2011 18:11

You can search the US census, say 1900-1930. The image would give his year of immigration. Try at:

https://www.familysearch.org/s/collection/list#page=1®ion=NORTH_AMERICA

There are only links to images for 1900, but the source details in 1920-30 enable you to find the image at, say:

htp://www.archive.org/details/1920_census
htp://www.archive.org/details/1930_census

Guess an image, look up a name on that image, and adjust your guess.
The last 3 digits of the LDS FHL film # match those on the NARA reel #.
The image # appears after the n, so /n1219/mode/1up is image 1219.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 5 Aug 2011 18:31

Ellis Island has a Joseph Doyle arriing New York 27 Aug. 1910 from Southampton. He was 49, married, a machinist, last permanent residence was Portsmouth and he gives name of wife as Mrs. L. Doyle, 45 Dickens Rd., Portsmouth. Said he had been in America for 10 years and was heading home to 33 McChesney St., Orange, New Jersey. Oh, just noticed, said he was born Ireland.