Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry World-wide ? USA records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 5 Aug 2011 16:23

I don't know if I am putting this on the right board - if not, please forgive me. I have a Gladys Louisa Elcock who married who I believe to be an American serviceman in 1918, a Harry M Hook. They emigrated to America and had four children, the last one being born 1925. By 1929 Harry had re-married and had two boys, then remarried again 1934 and had two girls and finally married again in 1976 and divorced the same year ! Gladys I believe re-married someone whose surname was PUESHEL but I have no idea of his first name or when this marriage took place of if indeed there were any offspring. Gladys died 1984 in Los Angeles, California. Is anyone out there able to help find the marriage of Gladys Louisa (elcock) Hook to a Pueschel and also if she had more children. Thank you very much. I will completely understand if this is not possible as it is a really big ask !

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 5 Aug 2011 17:37

This looks as if it might be Gladys (Still a Hook) in 1930:

Name: Gladys Hook
Home in 1930: Columbus, Platte, Nebraska
View Map
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1897
Birthplace: England
Relation to Head of House: Head
Race: White

Education:

Military Service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace:

View image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Gladys Hook 33
Jean Hook 9
Paulmsc Hook 8
Alice Hook 4 6/12
Mary Hook 1 6/12

If your lady died in California in 1984 she would not be the Gladys who married a Mr Pueshel:

Name: Gladys Pueschel
SSN: 507-12-2903
Last Residence: 91040 Sunland, Los Angeles, California, United States of America
Born: 5 Jun 1897
Died: May 1982
State (Year) SSN issued: Nebraska (Before 1951)

Margaret

Margaret Report 5 Aug 2011 17:41

Thank you Jonesy. I appreciate that. At least she didn't rush off and re-marry quickly as her other half appears to have done.

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 5 Aug 2011 17:44

Margaret,

In the 1930 census she as shown as married but perhaps that was an assumption by the enumerator.

Just in case you do not have it here is her American passport application:

Name: Mrs Gladys Louisa Hook
Birth Date: 5 Jun 1897
Birth Place: Romsey Hants, England
Residence: Fremont Nebraska
Passport Issue Date: 17 Jul 1919
Father Name: Harry Elcock
Father's Birth Location: Romsey Hants, England
Spouse Name: Harry H Hook
Spouse Birth Place: United States
Passport Includes a Photo: Yes

Margaret

Margaret Report 5 Aug 2011 17:46

Ah I see. Perhaps she thought she was in all innocence as I notice she is living in Nebraska and her husband Harry Hook remarried 1929 Wisconsin !! Perhaps she was in sublime ignorance.

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 5 Aug 2011 17:59

Out of curiosity could this be Harry in 1930? Although the transcription has his initial as "E" it is clearly "H" on the original.

1930:

Name: Harey E Hook
Home in 1930: Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie, Iowa
View Map
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1898
Birthplace: Nebraska
Relation to Head of House: Roomer
Race: White

Education:

Military Service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage: 21

Parents' birthplace: Mother: Iowa, Father: Nebraska (Ties in with 1920 census)

View image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Agnes Plunkett 48
Ketty E Noblet 38
Harey E Hook 32 (Shown as married)

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 5 Aug 2011 18:12

Margaret,

In your opening post you said that Harry and Gladys had 4 children, the last being born in 1925. If you look at the 1930 census (Taken 1st April) you will note that the youngest child appear to be only 1 year and 6 months old, thus born about October/November 1928.

Thelma

Thelma Report 5 Aug 2011 18:14

California Death Index, 1940-1997
about Gladys Louise Pueschel Name: Gladys Louise Pueschel
[Gladys Louise Elcock]
Social Security #: 507122903
Sex: Female
Birth Date: 5 Jun 1897
Birthplace: Other Country
Death Date: 9 May 1982
Death Place: Los Angeles
Mother's Maiden Name: Keel
Father's Surname: Elcock

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 5 Aug 2011 18:16

There's this death in Los Angeles in 1982, father's last name was Elcock and mother's maiden name Keel:

Last Name First Name Middle Birth Date Mother Maiden Father Last Sex Birth Place Death Place Residence Death Date SSN Age Post-ems Order
Record
PUESCHEL GLADYS LOUISE 06/05/1897 KEEL ELCOCK F REST (OTHER) LOS ANGELES(19) 05/09/1982 507-12-2903 84 yrs Add

From this site:

http://vitals.rootsweb.ancestry.com/ca/death/search.cgi

Margaret

Margaret Report 5 Aug 2011 18:18

Yes Jonesey - I had spotted that too. She had Jean 1920, Paul 1921, Alice 1925 and one other girl whose name I do not know and for some reason took her to be the eldest. Obviously I made a fateful mistake. If she is the youngest - Mary aged 1 1/2 - then she must have been born some time in 1928. Harry must have cleared off pretty damned quick to have married again in 1929 !! I wonder if she actually knew where he went and that he had remarried - after presumably divorcing her ! What a carry-on.

Margaret

Margaret Report 5 Aug 2011 18:23

Thelma and Margee - thank you so much. That is definitely the correct Gladys as her parents were Harry Elcock and Agnes Keel. Now all we need is where she married the elusive Mr. Pueschel and whether she produced any more children. Possibly she didn't remarry until later in life. I really don't know although bringing up four children on your own in the 1930's would have been pretty hard I should think.

Margaret

Margaret Report 5 Aug 2011 18:42

Must go now and prepare a meal. Will be back on later. Thank you all.

Teresa

Teresa Report 5 Aug 2011 19:06

Hi.

according to 1948 - 49 SanFrancisco city directory there is a Gladys Pueschel and an Alfred C. Pueschel, who is a carpenter living at 443 Tocoloma Ave.

Teresa

Margaret

Margaret Report 5 Aug 2011 19:48

Hi Teresa - that sounds good. I wouldn't have thought there were many Gladys Purschel's living in California. It's not the most common name in the world, I am making a note of this just in case it is Alfred C Pueschel she married. Thank you very much indeed.