Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Google

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lyho47

Lyho47 Report 11 Aug 2011 17:53

Maybe I'm just naive, but are other Genes members aware that some messages we post, can be accessed on Google. I searched an unusual surname (which I won't mention or this message will be added!) and up popped postings I'd made on Genes message boards and replies. Not looking for any reply to this, just wanted to let you folks know if you didn't already.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 Aug 2011 18:07

Yes Lynn thats why us helpers often say dont post personal info or info for people who could still be alive as Genes is an open site and anything posted on it can be found by Google .

Does well though to remind people and hopefully newbies will read this too . :-D

Joy

Joy Report 11 Aug 2011 18:10

It is an open site; everything posted in the boards can be seen elsewhere.

Andrew

Andrew Report 11 Aug 2011 18:19

Google can find info posted very quickly indeed, just minutes. I was looking for an unusual surname recently and did a google search. First item that came up.........the GR thread, less than five minutes old. So yes, beware of what you post. Big brother IS watching......

Andy

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 11 Aug 2011 21:06

Terms & Conditions
3.Privacy

Does actually make mention that postings can be viewed using internet search engines.

Does anyone actually read the Terms and Conditions ?

wellybobs

wellybobs Report 11 Aug 2011 22:02

Hi,
I don't think most people read the T & C's., I must admit that I didn't and only realized that threads could be viewed by the general public when I put an ancestors surname on Google and low and behold up came MY thread with his name on and the whole "conversation" so it pays to beware. !! :-)