Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

clergy

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Myrtle

Myrtle Report 16 Aug 2011 04:48

anyone know where i can find out where a family member was a vicar around the 1940-50 i think it may have been somewhere in south london but not sure all i have is his date of birth, born in greenwich, and his name

from margaret downunder

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 16 Aug 2011 09:30

Hello Myrtle,

If you click on this link, it will take you to the Crockford's Clerical Directory site. If you put his name in, you will get some information but you will have to pay to view anything extra. If you want to put his name and details on this thread, someone may be able to help you.

http://www.crockford.org.uk/

Regards, Cx

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 16 Aug 2011 12:09

Ancestry have some Crockford's Directories:

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 17 Aug 2011 07:56

I forgot this site.....

http://www.theclergydatabase.org.uk/index.html

Regards. Cx

Myrtle

Myrtle Report 17 Aug 2011 10:23

Dear Cynthia,
thanks loads for that information if i don't have any luck i will post all the details, i don't know why i don't use this message board more often it will save me so much time!
myrtle margaret

Kim

Kim Report 17 Aug 2011 11:13

Local directories might help. If he was a cleric in the early years of the 20thc, he may well be found on www.historicaldirectories.org but the database ends around WW1 at present. Later directories are usually available in local libraries, who may (and I stress "may" in the present economic climate) look for you.

Ancestry not only has some Crockford's directories but also telephone directories, so I'm sure someone could find him for you if given a name.