Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Tree Maker 2006 and Windows 7

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kim

Kim Report 20 Aug 2011 16:48

Hello
I'm looking to buy a netbook in the near future as even my laptop is too heavy to cart around to record offices. All the models seem to come with Windows 7 starter. Does anyone know if this OS has enough oomph to run FTM (I may be upgrading to the newest version, currently using 206) or has any compatibility issues?

Does anyone have any recommendations as to which netbook I should buy...I'm on a very tight budget. I don't need one to play online games, just to use for research, word processing and possibly to store a little music and some photos.

Thank you. Happy Saturday!

Kim
Happy to do look-ups in Hull

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 20 Aug 2011 17:02

I would have thought there was more than enough.

If there are any issues it may be that FTM2006 doesn't like windows 7. I have both 2006 and 2011 running on Vista but only 2011 on Windows 7 so can't be absolutely sure.

PS

Have a look here - you might need a patch

http://pastftm.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/pastftm.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2777

Kim

Kim Report 20 Aug 2011 17:05

Thank you IGP - if I'm going to upgrade to FTM 2011, sounds like I'd better do that first.

Best wishes
Kim

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 20 Aug 2011 17:55

FTM 2011 is a completely new program, much more "Window, mouse, point and click", than 2006, if you get my idea.

FTM 2012 is due out in September so you might want to wait for that.

Kim

Kim Report 20 Aug 2011 18:24

That might be why 2011 is only 29 quid on Amazon, then!

Thank you

Kim

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 21 Aug 2011 15:33

The FTM program itself should cost less than £20.

The different 'versions' that are available i.e. Delux / Platinum / World relate to the Ancestry subscriptions that come bundled with it.

Kim

Kim Report 21 Aug 2011 17:03

Yes - as I'm currently paying about £13 a month for Ancestry, the prospect of getting 6 months for £29 is very alluring!

Best wishes

Kim

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 21 Aug 2011 17:53

Haven't done it myself, but I think they will extend your current subscription if you phone up and explain you have bought an FTM package.

Kim

Kim Report 21 Aug 2011 18:19

Thank you IGP - great tip.