Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

adoption

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Geraldine

Geraldine Report 21 Aug 2011 19:37

can anyone advise me on how to trace my fathers original birth name he was adopted when he was 3 i have his adoption certificate. he died in 1999. has anybody have any ideas. many thanks gel

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Aug 2011 19:43

Sorry but as he is deceased then at the moment his records are sealed and not available to you

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 21 Aug 2011 19:57

As he was 3, there is a chance that he kept his given forenames.
Do you know where he was born?
If so, you could search for births in that area with the correct name and date of birth.

Gwyn

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 21 Aug 2011 20:52

I thought children and next of kin would have access to sealed records? :-D

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 21 Aug 2011 22:38

I am sure Shirley is right. If you think about it, why would anyone but the adopted person themselves have access to this information? I imagine the thinking is that the adopted person's rights override the rights of the birth parents to confidentiality, but this wouldn't apply to anyone else.
jan

Flick

Flick Report 21 Aug 2011 22:38

'Sealed' means exactly that.................

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 21 Aug 2011 22:45

Gwyn's comment re. checking for births using his forenames is a good one though, worth a shot. I have seen this work for a couple of people on here.
Jan

Penny

Penny Report 22 Aug 2011 06:46

depending on how old he was, there mmay not be an official records anyway,

Do you know what the story behind his being adopted was? Might have been raised by family other than his parent/s

Flick

Flick Report 22 Aug 2011 09:19

Penny

The OP states that she 'has his adoption certificate'!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 22 Aug 2011 11:45

Suzanne
You may be thinking of the stillbirth register, NOK can access those if they can show their relationship and the parents are now deceased

Rachel

Rachel Report 7 Oct 2011 22:47

Gosh People can be so negative with regards to people who were adopted, have passed away and their direct blood descendents wanting to find them.

I will give you some advice love, Im in the same boat, my granfather was adopted and im part of a campain which is backed by BAAF, We are getting closer each day to having 4 small words changed in the legislation thats stopping us from knowing our direct blood relatives and its all being reviewed in the next year.

I will PM you with more details, also with other routes you can follow because some people do get lucky via other meens.

Dont give up, stay postive and remember the saying, never say never :-D

Flick

Flick Report 7 Oct 2011 23:05

It isn't a case being 'negative'.....it's merely giving factual advice about the current situation in law.

If the law is changed at some future date, any advice given will take that into account

Frankly, I'm not sure how interested Geraldine is in finding the info........she hasn't added any response, so one must assume she hasn't bothered to look at the replies to her request

ann

ann Report 7 Oct 2011 23:14

My mum was adopted at 3 years old.She kept her 2 forenames and had her surname changed.Thank goodness today if you are adopted your mother can meet with the adopted parents and is allowed 2 letters a year." from the mother and 2 from the child".Nothing hidden now