Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Missing Robinson's

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 28 Aug 2011 12:07

Hello Everyone,
Here I am again asking for help.
I have been looking for my great grandfather and family for years.
He is Gervase/Jarvis/Gervas/Jervis Robinson born Hook nr Goole Yorkshire in 1837. He was baptised in Hook on 23.4.1837. His father was William Robinson. No trace of him on the 1841 census but the family are on the 1851 census living in Hull. His name has been wrongly transcribed as Tarfus! he is 14 and an apprentice. He then joins the 5th Dragoon Guards and the next census 1861 he is in Brighton Sussex as Jarvis Robinson born Howden Yorks aged 25. He then marries Mary Loughead/Loughed in Ireland on 1.5.1865 I have the certificate. They have a son born in Ireland Jervis Frederick Robinson born 26.2.1867 I have this certificate. My grandmother Jane Ann Elizabeth Robinson born Aldershot Barracks 15.11.1868, I have this certificate. Their son Jervis Frederick dies in Leeds 11.2.1869 I have this certificate. 1871 Census shows the family still living in Leeds with just one daughter my grandmother Jane Ann Elizabeth. Gervase/Jarvis Robinson leaves the army at his own request on 28.3.1872 after serving 16/18 years.
The family then vanish.
My grandmother turn up in Hull to marry my grandad James Robert Gardiner on 25.7.1887 I have this certificate. On it it says Gervase is a deceased Soldier.
I cannot find a death for Gervase or any information of Mary his wife. At the time of marriage my grandmother was living with a family named Whittaker in Chilton Street Hull. James Whittaker was a witness at the marriage. I cannot find any connection with the Whittakers to our family so do not know why she was there.
There is a complete gap as to where they were between 1872 and Jane marrying my grandfather in 1887.
I would be grateful for any suggestions as to where I can now look.
Regards Linda

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 28 Aug 2011 12:30

Hi Linda,

have you found your Grandmother in 1881?

Dee x

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 28 Aug 2011 12:56

Find my past have this in the Army death section;

ROBINSON J South Africa 5 Dragoon Guards 1899-1902

EDIT>>>>>>> Most likely this death;

UK, Casualties of the Boer War, 1899-1902
about J Robinson Name: J Robinson
Casualty Type: Died
Casualty Date: 8 Nov 1900
Casualty Place: Newcastle
Force: South Africa Field Force
Regiment: 5th Dragoons
Number: 4614

K

K Report 28 Aug 2011 13:01

They may have returned to Ireland

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 28 Aug 2011 13:11

Something else to consider???

Name: Jarvis Robson
Event: Death
Event Date: 25 Nov 1881
Event Place: Stouffville, York, Ontario
Estimated Birth Year: 1833
Father:
Mother:
Spouse:
Reference Number: yr 1881 cn 21465
Film Number: 1853234
Digital Folder Number: 4032992
Image Number: 779

Linda

Linda Report 28 Aug 2011 14:12

Hello,

Firstly no trace of my grandmother in 1881.
The Army death South Africa - he is deceased by 1887 according to my grandmothers marriage cert. Also he had left the Army in 1872.
Lastly I have not thought of the Canada link. Perhaps I should look into this.
Thank for your help.
Linda

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 28 Aug 2011 14:23

Drat;

1881 Census of Canada
about Jarvis Robson Name: Jarvis Robson
Marital Status: Married
Birth Year: 1837
Birthplace: England
Religion: Church of England
Nationality: Eng (English)
Province: Ontario
District Number: 135
District: York East
Sub-District Number: F
Subdistrict: Stouffville
Household Members: Name Age
Jarvis Robson 44
Elizabeth Robson 39 >> Born scotland
Frank Robson 3
John William Robson 2

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Aug 2011 22:52

Linda,

The fact that a father is declared deceased on a marriage certificate of one of his children is not in fact definitive evidence that he really was deceased!

She may have lost all contact with him, and decided he was dead

He may have deserted the family, and they decided to say he was dead

plus of course, illegitimate children (which doesn't apply in this case) quite often put a name, any name, down as father and often declared him deceased ....... looked better for the in-laws!

so be careful about taking deceased on a marriage certificate as the literal truth.

sylvia