Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death Query

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

StephScouser

StephScouser Report 4 Sep 2011 20:12

Hello there =]

I am looking for some help. I have just recieved a death certificate for Philip McLaughlin who died in Liverpool 13/04/1852. Cause of death is stated as 'Found dead Visitation of God' and the death was registered by P.F.Curry Coroner Liverpool. I understand that the death was probably natural but I was just wondering if there would have been some sort of inquest for this death, even if it was just a record of what the coroner found? Any record would be helpful!

Thankyou =]
Steph

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 4 Sep 2011 20:18

The 'Found dead' might suggest he was found somewhere other than at home.?
Perhaps your best chance of finding out more would be to search local papers for that area around the time of the registration.

Gwyn

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 4 Sep 2011 20:25

I agree with Gwyn, your best bet would be to search newspaper back copies, which if they exist will probably be on microfilm at the library nearest to where the death took place.

If the coroner was the informant then it IS likely that there was an inquest, but the records for this may not have survived. However newspaper reporting of inquests were usually quite detailed.

Kath. x

StephScouser

StephScouser Report 4 Sep 2011 20:26

Hi Gwyn thats a good idea =] I forgot to mention that he died at his home address 11 Cavendish street Liverpool.

Many Thanks
Steph

StephScouser

StephScouser Report 4 Sep 2011 20:56

Hi Kath, sorry I have only just seen your message. Thankyou very much for your help, I will definately check the newspapers for that time, would it have mattered if the person was quite poor? Would it still be mentioned in the paper? I will try contacting the local records office and then the national archives to enquire more about inquest records.

Many thanks
Stephanie

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 4 Sep 2011 21:05

I think a sudden death would still have been reported in the newspapers, even if the person was poor.

My great grandfather died after an accident on the railways and I found a really detailed report of the inquest in the newspaper.

Inquests in those days were held quite quickly - so you shouldn't need to search too much. My great grandfather's inquest was held on the day after his death and reported in the newspaper on the same day (this was in 1913).

Kath. x