Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GRO Online Certificate Ordering help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dawn

Dawn Report 5 Sep 2011 22:52

Hiya,

Can't seem to see this question asked elsewhere, may be I am being silly but .....

I am trying to order a copy of my grandfathers death certificate from 1997. Upon checking the indexes I am given the District, Volume and Page Numbers but when I try to order online it wants District name & number and an entry number.

I assume at a certain date the way the registers were recorded changed but the index gives me the older style while oline ordering is asking for the newer style.

Can I enter the volume & page number into the entry number section and just leave out a district number?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Kind Regards

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 5 Sep 2011 22:56

Are you sure you have typed in the correct year of death?

If you want to give the name and area I will have a look for the death on Findmypast just to make sure you have the correct details.

A death in 1997 should give an entry number.

Kath. x

Dawn

Dawn Report 5 Sep 2011 23:07

Thank you for your quick replies.

Here are the details from the death index -

Name Donald Robinson
Year of Registration 1997
Month of Registration January
Registration District Warminster
Registration County Wiltshire
Date of Birth 28 June 1913
Volume Number 7981
Volume Page 13D

On the online ordering I select death certificate, give his age, select yes to gro index and give the year of death. After that it asks for the entry number etc.

I have ordered many certificates online and have never come across this problem before. Thanks again for any suggestions.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 5 Sep 2011 23:35

Name: Donald Robinson
Birth Date: 28 Jun 1913
Date of Registration: Jan 1997
Age at Death: 83
Registration district: Warminster
Inferred County: Wiltshire
Register number: 13D
District and Subdistrict: 7981
Entry number: 51

Dawn

Dawn Report 5 Sep 2011 23:43

Thank you so much, GlitterBaby, that's great!!!

I searched the indexes here on Genesreunited, where did you find the correct info?

I can now get on and order the certificate yay :-D

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 5 Sep 2011 23:50

Found the entry on Ancestry

Dawn

Dawn Report 6 Sep 2011 00:08

Brilliant, Many thanks!! :-D :-D :-D