Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bit of a Puzzle

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Norma

Norma Report 11 Sep 2011 12:18

Hi
I have recently discovered a baptism in a Catholic Church of a Great Uncle,the first sibling was baptised in a High Church of England.
The baptism took place in 1905 but in the place where the surname is there was a added in very small writing a date 2 months after he married in 1931 written in Latin which gave his wifes name that of her Mother and Father and 2 witnesses.The name of the church is different than that of the church the batism took place in,but I have a feeling that the 2 churches have since amalgamated(discovered as a result of googling)
Does anyone out there know why another what appears to be a marriage taken place after an original one 2 months earlier as I am very confused.
Best wishes
Norma

mgnv

mgnv Report 11 Sep 2011 17:43

Thru the early 1980s, the RCs were not authorized to maintain official registers of marrs. This was also the situation for all non-conformists (except jews & quakers) pre 1898. For non-conformists, couples could get wed in any registered building (these included RC churches), but it would be a civil ceremony, and the real marriage concluded after what might be termed the main ceremony, when the couple signed the attending registrar`s register in the vestry.

It was a bit unusual, but did happen quite regularly, that an RC couple would wed someplace else first, like a rego office, and then have what for them was the real ceremony in an RC church. The church would record this in their parish register, but that wouldn`t be the official marr as far as the state was concerned.

NB I`m not dead certain of most of the above, but I think I`m right.

Norma

Norma Report 11 Sep 2011 18:09

Hi MGNV
Thank you for replying I think you could be right on this one
Best wishes
Norma

SpanishEyes

SpanishEyes Report 11 Sep 2011 19:43

I married in my Catholic Church 41 years ago. We had a full Catholic wedding and then had to go into the Vestry to sign the church records and also have civil papers signed and witnessed.

I believe this continues in any non C of E church.

Bridget

SpanishEyes

SpanishEyes Report 11 Sep 2011 19:46

I forgot to add that if you search for Baptism records for Catholics please be aware that they are often recorded in Latin including the names of the people being baptised and sometimes the god parents.
Bridget

Norma

Norma Report 11 Sep 2011 20:50

Hi Bridget
Yes that was the problem with the one I found,but a very good and clever friend deciphered it for me
Best wishes
Norma