Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Twin / Stillborn

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Debra

Debra Report 11 Sep 2011 20:28

I have found the birth record of a relative born in 1903, the children of this person believe he could have been a twin but the other twin was still born. I cannot find any registration for the still born child (which is quite probable) but what I would like to know is, Would/Should the surving twin's birth certificate be marked as Twin (the birth cert held makes no mention of it).

Many thanks
Debra

SpanishEyes

SpanishEyes Report 11 Sep 2011 21:36

My understanding is that as one twin died before breathing the child in law did not exist.
Many mothers loose a child before birth snd the second child survives. Some mothers are not aware of this if it occurs early in the pregnancy.

I hope that this helps.

Bridget

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 11 Sep 2011 21:42

I don't think the surviving twin's birth certificate would have any mention of the still born child.

As the still-birth register did not start until 1927 unfortunately there would be no record of the still-born child - unless there is a burial record which, if it exists, would probably be at the relevant County Records Office, although I wouldn't hold out too much hope of this.

Kath. x

Debra

Debra Report 11 Sep 2011 22:01

Bridget & Kath

Thank you for responding.

Debra