Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

BORN OUT OF WEDLOCK

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

tweedledee

tweedledee Report 11 Sep 2011 20:52

How would I begin to search for a boy born out of wedlock in St Helens,Lancashire, prior to 1917 ? I only have the mother's maiden name as Johnson.
Thank you for any help or suggestions.

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 11 Sep 2011 21:25

Try www.freebmd.org.uk

Enter Birth, Surname Johnson, Mothers Maiden Name Johnson, Registration district Prescot, Year range end Dec 1916

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 11 Sep 2011 21:26

He is likely to be registered in the name of JOHNSON and the GRO index will show that name in the mmn section too.
Do you know his first name?
If his father acknowledged him and went to the registration, he could be indexed with his father's surname also, unless the couple presented themselves as a married couple and didn't admit to not being married.

Gwyn

Janet

Janet Report 12 Sep 2011 09:34

.....just another thought is that girls were 'sent away' sometimes so its not bound to be in the town where she lived.-jl

tweedledee

tweedledee Report 13 Sep 2011 18:32

Thanks everyone for your replies. Much appreciated ! I have tried the freebmd and didn't come up with anything. Possibly the girl was 'sent away' I believe the father was killed in WW1

What is the mmn section of thr GRO ?

tweedledee

tweedledee Report 13 Sep 2011 18:34

Thanks everyone for your replies. Much appreciated ! I have tried the freebmd and didn't come up with anything. Possibly the girl was 'sent away' I believe the father was killed in WW1

What is the mmn section of thr GRO ?

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 13 Sep 2011 18:35

mmn...... Mother's maiden name

Always present on a birth certificate since 1837, but only shown on the GRO index since 1911.

Gwyn

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 13 Sep 2011 18:36

Do you know the boys first name?

tweedledee

tweedledee Report 13 Sep 2011 18:49

Thanks Gwynn......I'm just not awake this morning, LOL