Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ANCESTRY

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tracey

Tracey Report 13 Sep 2011 13:15

On Ancestry 2 of my relatives have an extra surname added to their other names, but it does not show on their birth dates on freebmd and on here. Could anyone please tell me why.

Names are Eliza Alice Sutherland 1864 and her older sister Anna Maria, 1858.

Odd thing is that it is not on the sister between these 2 Agnes my gtgtgrandmother 1862.
Help please.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 13 Sep 2011 13:17

I can see Anna Maria on FreeBMD but not Eliza. Were they all born in Norwich?

Births Dec 1858 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sutherland Anna Maria Norwich 4b 146

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 13 Sep 2011 13:18

Do you mean the Webb as a middle name for Agnes?

Births Dec 1862 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SUTHERLAND Agnes Webb Chorlton 8c 589

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 13 Sep 2011 13:19

Found Eliza:

Births Dec 1865 (>99%)

Sutherland Eliza Alice Norwich 4b 156

I'm off for a pootle round in Ancestry now.

Jill

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 13 Sep 2011 13:25

Do you mean the census listing - I've spotted the 1891 showing Eliza A Gooch and someone has added Eliza A Sutherland as an alternative name?

Jill

Vivvie

Vivvie Report 13 Sep 2011 13:26

Possible Match

Name: SUTHERLAND, Agnes Hester
Registration District: Norwich
County: Norfolk
Year of Registration: 1863
Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
Mother's Maiden Name: Not available before 1911 Q3
Volume No: 4B
Page No: 161

Tracey

Tracey Report 13 Sep 2011 13:31

Hi jill

yes Jill that is the one, not sure why they say that at all. its weird.Their mother was not married so wondered if it could be the names of their father.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 13 Sep 2011 13:43

Webb?

Yes, could well be the name of the father, but you'd need some other evidence to help you back that up. One of them may have named her father on her marriage certificate. so it may be worth your while tracking down all their marriage certs.

(I had an ancestor who did that - she had a weird middle name as well. I knew the story as it came down through the family but it was good to be able to prove it.)

Jill

Tracey

Tracey Report 13 Sep 2011 14:08

will do that thak you jill, hopefully it will state father.

Thank you

Tracey

Potty

Potty Report 13 Sep 2011 16:55

If you look at the image for that census, all the Sutherland children have been mistranscribed as Gooch (the name of the family above).

The Sutherland hasn't been added by a member but has probably been added by Ancestry because the mother's name is properly transcribed as Sutherland.

Tracey

Tracey Report 13 Sep 2011 17:34

thank you potty, will take a look. i thought i was going loony, didnt want another name added, :-)

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 13 Sep 2011 17:48

Have pm'd you tracey,,,Sue in Leeds(Mum)