Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Census question re: "Condition as to marriage"

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

EmmaJ

EmmaJ Report 16 Sep 2011 21:38

Hello,

Does anyone know what "p" stands for in the Condition as to marriage column on the census forms? Until now I have only come across "m" for married or "w" for widowed - and until I know what "p" stands for I'm at a loss as to whether surname of the person in question is her maiden name or a married name. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 16 Sep 2011 21:41

It maybe how its written and is S and not P?for single.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 16 Sep 2011 21:44

Can you post the census details

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 Sep 2011 21:46

if you give us the details we can take a look at the actual census page to try and decipher it

EmmaJ

EmmaJ Report 17 Sep 2011 02:00

Thank you for your replies. Having taken another look perhaps the 'p' is in fact an 's', which would presumably stand for single (it appears to show for males as well as females on the same census form).

Details of the particular 1891 census are as follows: -
Name: - Lizzie Lillie
Year of birth: - 1860
Key location: - Northumberland (Wooler).

I would be grateful for anyone who takes a look at the census could confirm whether they agree that the letter in question is in fact an 's', or provide an alternative answer?

Many thanks.

jax

jax Report 17 Sep 2011 02:22

Just had a look and it looks like P to me not that I have come accross it before.

There seems to be a lot of them on that page too

jax

jax

jax Report 17 Sep 2011 02:34

Yes it looks like you could be right Joan now that I have taken another look

jax

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 17 Sep 2011 09:15

Standard abbreviations are

U - Unmarried
M - Married
W - Widow or Widower

S was regularly used in place of U, in fact you often see both on the same page.

The above example for Lizzie is an S - same as Son and other S's on the page.

EmmaJ

EmmaJ Report 17 Sep 2011 10:33

Thank you to everyone who has helped with solving my query, it's greatly appreciated.

Emma