Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

is it possible to see who lived in a house in 1881

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 18 Sep 2011 23:21

does anyone know whether you can find out who was living in a house in 1881? i know electoral roles for more recent years would give you an answer but going back this far is it possible?

any ideas anyone
thanks
florence
in the hebrides

Flick

Flick Report 18 Sep 2011 23:35

1881 England/Wales census can be searched by address on Ancestry........and it's FREE

All Scottish censuses on Ancestry can be searched by address...but they aren't free

What was the address?

Assuming that it was the same in 1881 as it is now?

A lot of changes have occurred in the intervening 130 years...........

Florence61

Florence61 Report 18 Sep 2011 23:51

thanks flick for the info. im not a member of ancestrry, but as you say its free can i search myself or not.?
thanks
florence
in the hebrides

jax

jax Report 19 Sep 2011 00:21

You can search on FMP for free for the 1881 and address search is easy on there.

I must say I have never worked out how to do it on ancestry

jax

Florence61

Florence61 Report 19 Sep 2011 00:25

thanks jax, will give it a go
florence
in the hebrides

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 19 Sep 2011 08:32

Jax, in passing - 1881 address search on Ancestry is OK, just put street name, town etc into 'keyword' box. I tried it with 'Platt Lane Manchester' for example.

I have never worked out how to do it for other years despite Jonesey's tip of the day some while back!

Jan

Flick

Flick Report 19 Sep 2011 10:49

jax

1881 on Ancestry is a piece of cake........if you look at the search box you will see the space in which to enter address.......................

In passing.....on the 'official' 1901 census an address search is also possible.......and free

Florence61

Florence61 Report 19 Sep 2011 21:35

hi peeps, the address i am interested in is

2 caroline villas
packers lane
ramsgate
kent.

i have tried googling and searching on ancestry without success. if some kind person would give it a go for me,i would be really grateful. i just want to find out who was living there 1877 onwards up to1890 but not afterwards.

thanks
florence
in the hebrides

jax

jax Report 19 Sep 2011 21:47

1881 census - address transcription
Address: 2, Caroline Villas, Ramsgate

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

594 GISBY, Henry Head Married M 24 1857 Fisherman
Ramsgate
Kent VIEW
594 GISBY, Mary A Wife Married F 24 1857
Ramsgate
Kent VIEW
594 GISBY, Maria Daughter Single F 3 1878
Ramsgate
Kent VIEW
594 GISBY, Harry Son Single M 0 1881
Ramsgate
Kent VIEW

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I still xannot see how do do it on ancestry so will stick with fmp

Flick

Flick Report 19 Sep 2011 21:58

from Ancestry....at the address quoted

Mary A. Gisby Henry abt 1857 Ramsgate, Kent, England Wife Ramsgate, Kent
View Record
Henry Gisby Mary A. abt 1857 Ramsgate, Kent, England Head Ramsgate, Kent
View Record
Maria Gisby Henry,
Mary A. abt 1878 Ramsgate, Kent, England Daughter Ramsgate, Kent
View Record
Harry Gisby Henry,
Mary A. Ramsgate, Kent, England Son Ramsgate, Kent

Under the section 'Residence' in the search box there is a box marked 'street address'

Florence61

Florence61 Report 19 Sep 2011 22:09

thanks flick and jax. i now am a bit confused. i have a birth cert for someone whose family i cant find in 1881. this is due to the mispelling several times of the surname. i had a long thread ages ago about this so dont want to repeat. anycase i hit a huge brick wall as you do.

so i looked at add on the birth cert.the person was born 25 dec 1877 and reg in mar1878. so i figured there would be a good chance they were still there in 1881 but looking at what you found, how wrong could i be?

thanks both for looking. i guess its back to the drawing board again. they did move about quite a bit and by 1891 the family were in ashford and there were more children. but its the bit in the middle thats missing and so for the time being, it will remain a mystery.

thanks again
florence
in the hebrides

jax

jax Report 19 Sep 2011 22:25

Yes thats the trouble they did'nt stay in one place very long...if the rent was cheaper next door they would move.

I do not have a section called "residence" Flick....if I have I cannot see it

jax

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 20 Sep 2011 01:19

on the 1881 census as supplied by the mormon site you are able to look at households next and previous.........
and is free.....
Bob

Florence61

Florence61 Report 21 Sep 2011 00:07

yes bob thanks for that, but on that site can you search by add only instead of name? have used the sight many times but only by name. will have another look and see what options there are.
thanks again
florence
in the hebrides

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 21 Sep 2011 06:40

Florence

On familysearch.org as Bob said you can keep on looking at previous and after families.

You might pick up the mistranscription that way. You dont put in any name just click next household

Florence61

Florence61 Report 21 Sep 2011 19:19

yes quinsgran i know that but i dont have a name to search with,thats my problem
florence
in the hebrides

Sally

Sally Report 21 Sep 2011 20:35

hello can you put in the name found on the adress search and move back untill the name you are searching for apears as ihave done this

sally w :-)

Florence61

Florence61 Report 21 Sep 2011 21:12

sally, at the address i was searching, another family was living there in 1881. i searched all the properties in that street as i managed to find how to do that on fmp. unfortunately at all the other houses the said family were nowhere to be found. i know where they were in 1877/78 but by 1881 they had obviously moved on.

thanks to you everyone else who helped and offered tips. i really do appreciate it.

florence
in the hebrides