Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Irish site

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Las95

Las95 Report 20 Sep 2011 11:48

Hi,

I was wondering if anyones knows if there is a free irish site like freebmd.com

I want to buy my grandparents marriage certificate but i don't no what year it was, i only have a month subscription on hee for england and wales, so can't look on here.

If anyone knows of any sites i would be very grateful for any info.
Thanks
Lorna

Joy

Joy Report 20 Sep 2011 12:01

There is the Mormons' site.

I shall bring forward a useful thread on Irish research.

Potty

Potty Report 20 Sep 2011 12:04

familysearch has the Irish BMD indexes but searching them is not as easy as freebmd!

Have you a rough idea of when the marriage took place ( you parent's birth date or that of any older siblings will give you some help for that) and whether it was Southern or Northern Ireland?

Las95

Las95 Report 20 Sep 2011 12:04

Thank you.

Las95

Las95 Report 20 Sep 2011 12:26

Hi Potty,

My dad was born in 1948 and he has a older brother, mayber 2 years older, it is southern ireland, I think the marriage would proberly have been in County Meath or County Louth, but can not be sure about that.
Lorna

Potty

Potty Report 20 Sep 2011 15:01

This site:

https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/show#uri=http://hr-search-api:8080/searchapi/search/collection/1408347

is for the Irish BMD indexes upto 1958 for Southern Ireland. Click on Advanced Search and select Marriage for the event. You will need to search each name individually and try to find a match - can take a long time if they are common names.

Las95

Las95 Report 20 Sep 2011 15:54

Thanks so much, will give it a go.
Lorna

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 21 Sep 2011 11:00

Ancestry have also now added birth, deaths and marriage in Ireland.... the years cover what you need.

Although this is not a free site others, including me, have subs so maybe able to help.

Dee x

Joy

Joy Report 21 Sep 2011 12:09

That's true, Dee; unfortunately for me the baptisms *seem* so far to be only Catholic; so far, my Irish ancestral family have been Church of Ireland.

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 21 Sep 2011 15:43

Hi JKM,

how annoying for you. With any luck they will add the C of I records soon.

:-D

DebifromLeeds

DebifromLeeds Report 21 Sep 2011 21:26

Hi, I pay monthly to Ancestry, where to I find the Southern Ireland BDM please?

Debi

DebifromLeeds

DebifromLeeds Report 21 Sep 2011 23:03

Got it!